Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

DOOM 3 BFG Edition Announced

The Bethesda Blog announces the DOOM 3 BFG Edition, a bundle of DOOM games for release this year on PCs and consoles. This trailer shows off the project, and here's what they say: "DOOM 3 BFG Edition is the ultimate collection of groundbreaking games that defined the first person shooter. It includes DOOM, DOOM 2, DOOM 3, and DOOM 3: Resurrection of Evil, as well as the ‘Lost Mission.’ All DOOM 3 content has been re-mastered for Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3 in stunning 3D for an even more terrifying FPS experience." Nowhere is a Windows edition mentioned, but there is a PC-DVD version among the packages shown at the end.

<

Post Comment
Enter the details of the comment you'd like to post in the boxes below and click the button at the bottom of the form.

82. Re: DOOM 3 BFG Edition Announced May 31, 2012, 12:50 Verno

StingingVelvet wrote on May 31, 2012, 12:30:
I go to a ton of forums and gaming news sites and blues is by FAR the negative nancy of the bunch. Feel free to disagree, but that is my experience. I know the internet is negative leaning all around, I'm not an idiot, but this site is more so than most in my experience.

Nah, this site is no more negative than most others. That's an oft repeated forum canard here when people don't like what others are posting. I frequent reddit, SA, Arstechnica and several others, sometimes as a poster but mostly as a reader. Some sites have a user base that is more courteous but that's more from active moderation as opposed to any general improvement in actual attitude.

Blues has a higher percentage of PC gamers and a lot of PC gaming related news was quite negative itself over the years so of course people were unhappy with it but there was plenty of good stuff in between too. Also some people just cherry pick the troll posts and try to make that a representation which is silly.

As for Doom 3, I didn't mean my comment to sound like HEY EVERYONE LOVED IT WHEN IT CAME OUT. Again, I can ONLY speak to MY experience, which was forums filled with people excited about the game and talking about how awesome it was. Selective sampling? Less negative forum? Partial memory? I dunno, but that is my experience.

Sounds like partial memory to me, I didn't post here back then but I participated heavily on SA, Shack and so on. Doom 3 isn't exactly well remembered on the internet either. Plenty of people were excited...before the game came out. Then things went downhill quickly and for many legitimate reasons. Even going back to old comments here you can see it, people really wanted to like Doom 3 but well...it wasn't quite what most were expecting.

Anyway you're right this game is divisive. I just wish people like the dude below didn't act like it's objectively bad or a completely different game form the original, because neither is true.

It is a different game though, it's more of a slow paced plodder with artificial gimmicks to induce tension. The flashlight implementation was an incredibly lazy design choice, I'm surprised to hear anyone defend it. The real problem with Doom 3 was that it should have been a more linear experience without things like monster closets, you can see they wanted to make something almost akin to Dead Space. They straddled the line with trying to accommodate fans and the traditional genre though. So they ended up with something in between that was disappointing to many.

This comment was edited on May 31, 2012, 13:11.

Playing: South Park, Dark Souls 2
Watching: Enemy, Network, Wer
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

Subject
Comment

;)   ;)   :(   :(   :o   :o   %)   %)   :)   :)   :|   :|   ;P   ;P   X|   X|   :D   :D   More

Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you have a signature set up, it will be automatically appended to your comment.
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

Email me when this topic is updated.

Special Codes

• b[bold text]b
  • i[italic text]i
  • u[underline text]u
  • -[strikethrough text]-
  • c[code text]c
  • +[bullet point]+
  • q[quote text (indented)]q
  • [quote="Author"]quote text (indented)[/quote]
  • [url=Link]text[/url]
  • r{red text}r
  • g{green text}g
  • b{blue text}b
  • m{maroon text}m
  • s{secret text (shows in the background colour)}s

Forum Rules

1. Disagree all you want but attacks of a personal nature will not be tolerated.
  2. Ethnic slurs and homophobic language will not be tolerated.
  3. Do not post spam, links to warez sites, or instructions on how to obtain pirated software.
  4. Abusing the forums in any manner that could be construed as 'griefing' will not be tolerated.

footer

Blue's News logo