Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

On Diablo III Balance Changes

A Game Design Update on the Diablo III Website speaks of player comments about balance in Blizzard's action/RPG sequel, and offers an overview of their philosophy towards tweaking the game. They offer some statistics on how the game is being played, say the next patch will be mainly to address service issues, and that the version 1.03 patch that will follow will offer their first-post release balance changes. They also go into detail on the issues that play into balancing Inferno mode, and their outlook on that. Here's an overview on patching versus hotfixes for balance:

Regarding the changes to Lingering Fog, Boon of Protection, and Force Armor: we determined these skills were simply more powerful than they should be, and we felt their impact on class balance and how each class was perceived warranted hotfixes as soon as we were able. However, we don't want you to be worried that a hotfix nerf is lurking around the corner every day. If a skill is strong, but isn't really breaking the game, we want you to have your fun. Part of the enjoyment of Diablo is finding those super-strong builds, and we want players to be excited to use something they discovered that feels overpowered. A good example of this is the monk Overawe rune, which many players have identified as being quite good. We agree it's good, but we don't think it's so far out of line that we're going to swoop in and hotfix it out of existence.

Post Comment
Enter the details of the comment you'd like to post in the boxes below and click the button at the bottom of the form.

32. Re: On Diablo III Balance Changes May 28, 2012, 16:44 Alamar

Darks wrote on May 28, 2012, 16:34:
RollinThundr wrote on May 28, 2012, 16:07:
Alamar wrote on May 28, 2012, 15:45:
Beelzebud wrote on May 28, 2012, 15:39:
I love how everyone is an expert about itemization for legendaries vs. rares based on roughly 2 weeks worth of random drops, and a few forum posts by people with anecdotes.

Surely, the comments from those not even playing the game are amusing...

But in this regard, reality is handy, but perception is king...

The problems (in this area) with perception is that people don't value certain lines (affixes) on a legendary, when they have some real use... Personally, I skip stuff with 'increases health globe pickup range', but then, I die from not being able to reach a health globe, so maybe that's karma heh...

Also, that whole comparing higher level blues with lower lvl legendaries is useful... The 'real' problem is that while it may be one in a billion drops, if there is ever one blue with perfect high rolls that beats one (equal ilvl) orange with perfect low rolls people scream that the system is broken... I half agree, as I think it's pointless to have gear that has such an absurdly low chance of dropping, not be overpowered, but apparently they want orange gear to just be a tad stronger (partially for balance I imagine, and to prevent AH abuse - go figure).

-Alamar

my lvl 51 DH says hello btw. And that's just it, for items that drop as rarely as legendary items do, their stats flat out suck. In 51 levels I've found 2 total. 2! Through a complete play through of normal and Nightmare. One was a lvl 10 Witch Doctor helm with terrible stats, the other a lvl 41 quiver that if it didn't have +104 dex on it, I would have AH'ed in a heart beat since the rest of the stats on it suck.. oooo +3 to disipline! oooo Reduces the cost of Cluster arrow! (a skill I don't even use)

That's the problem in a nut shell, in Diablo II, uniques were exactly that unique and usually the high end one's were powerful. In Diablo III it's oh hope the randomize dice roll plays nice for you.

Dude, I agree, legendary items blow big time, hell sometimes a blue item will drop that makes the legendary items look horrid.

As for balance changes, ok blizz, thatís right letís make the classes even more under powered. As it is now, no one is able to get through Inferno mode because itís entirely OP. And donít ever go on the forums and post a negative comment about the game or blizz. It will get nuked, that is just pathetic when a company canít even allow customers to vent their frustrations.

Great job as usual Blizz, you never fail to disappoint.

I trump your 51 DH that has seen 2 with my 58 Wiz that has seen 0 (and that includes my 37 Barb)..

I personally like a large part of the system... I have a few pieces I consider really nice, and they have str/dex/int and vit on them... Guess what happens to those when I out lvl them? They go to my other 4 characters, eventually...

Maybe they should have called Legendaries 'Rarer's instead... People aren't bitching about Rare's and crappy stats, and I've 'DE'd' hundreds of trash rares...

As for 'no one is able to get through Inferno', maybe you should consider a few things... Like blatant lying not being very useful in a discussion, and that the game has been out 2 weeks... If this were a glaring bug, as opposed to progression, I'd be more included to waive the '2 week grace period' (whatever that 2 value becomes over time), but really.. Plenty of people are conquering Inferno, posting tips, selling loot, etc...

I should hit Inferno tonight or tomorrow, so stay tuned for my nerd rage post about how hard it is : )

-Alamar

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

Subject
Comment

;)   ;)   :(   :(   :o   :o   %)   %)   :)   :)   :|   :|   ;P   ;P   X|   X|   :D   :D   More

Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you have a signature set up, it will be automatically appended to your comment.
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

Email me when this topic is updated.

Special Codes

• b[bold text]b
  • i[italic text]i
  • u[underline text]u
  • -[strikethrough text]-
  • c[code text]c
  • +[bullet point]+
  • q[quote text (indented)]q
  • [quote="Author"]quote text (indented)[/quote]
  • [url=Link]text[/url]
  • r{red text}r
  • g{green text}g
  • b{blue text}b
  • m{maroon text}m
  • s{secret text (shows in the background colour)}s

Forum Rules

1. Disagree all you want but attacks of a personal nature will not be tolerated.
  2. Ethnic slurs and homophobic language will not be tolerated.
  3. Do not post spam, links to warez sites, or instructions on how to obtain pirated software.
  4. Abusing the forums in any manner that could be construed as 'griefing' will not be tolerated.

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo