Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Origin Woos Crowd-Funded Games

EA announces it will waive its distribution fees on Origin for crowd-funded, "ready-to-publish" downloadable PC games for 90 days after launch. They offer quotes from prominent Kickstarter projects praising the move. "Crowd-funded projects are like the 'people's choice awards' -- a way for gaming fans to express what they want to buy and play. It's great to see a big publisher like EA acknowledging that and opening up distribution opportunities for these games," says Jane Jensen, President, Pinkerton Road. "I have had a long relationship with EA and it is great to see them recognize and support the crowd-funded games model," said Brian Fargo, CEO, inXile Entertainment. "Having Origin waive their distribution fees for 90 days for fan funded games is a major economic bonus for small developers. We look forward to bringing Wasteland 2 to the Origin audience."

Post Comment
Enter the details of the comment you'd like to post in the boxes below and click the button at the bottom of the form.

33. Re: Origin Woos Crowd-Funded Games May 19, 2012, 13:31 theyarecomingforyou

I don't have a problem with Origin per se, I just object to the business practices of EA. It's the reason I haven't bought Battlefield 3 or Mass Effect 3, even though both look like decent games - it's not because of Origin but because of their boycott of Steam. Yet I was happy to buy Diablo III and Starcraft II because they're not available on ANY digital distributor apart from Battle.net, Blizzard's own service - they didn't discriminate against Steam, they just chose to use their own service.

In terms of KS projects, I honestly have no problem with any project selling or distributing their game through Origin as long as it isn't exclusive. It's the same with Steam - even though a lot of KS actively promote the Steam connection they also offer it through other DD services or DRM free entirely. Although I consider Steam to offer added value there are many people that feel the exact opposite.

SteamID: theyarecomingforyou
Star Citizen: Blue's News
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

Subject
Comment

;)   ;)   :(   :(   :o   :o   %)   %)   :)   :)   :|   :|   ;P   ;P   X|   X|   :D   :D   More

Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you have a signature set up, it will be automatically appended to your comment.
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

Email me when this topic is updated.

Special Codes

• b[bold text]b
  • i[italic text]i
  • u[underline text]u
  • -[strikethrough text]-
  • c[code text]c
  • +[bullet point]+
  • q[quote text (indented)]q
  • [quote="Author"]quote text (indented)[/quote]
  • [url=Link]text[/url]
  • r{red text}r
  • g{green text}g
  • b{blue text}b
  • m{maroon text}m
  • s{secret text (shows in the background colour)}s

Forum Rules

1. Disagree all you want but attacks of a personal nature will not be tolerated.
  2. Ethnic slurs and homophobic language will not be tolerated.
  3. Do not post spam, links to warez sites, or instructions on how to obtain pirated software.
  4. Abusing the forums in any manner that could be construed as 'griefing' will not be tolerated.

footer

Blue's News logo