Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Tribes: Ascend Passes 1M Downloads

Hi-Rez Studios announces that the client for Tribes: Ascend has been downloaded more than one million times since the launch of the multiplayer shooter sequel a bit over a month ago. "We’re thrilled that over 1 million gamers have discovered the fast-paced and skill-based gameplay of Tribes," said Todd Harris, Hi-Rez Studios Chief Operating Officer. "It is truly the player support of the title that has driven the population growth and fuels our team to deliver updates."

Post Comment
Enter the details of the comment you'd like to post in the boxes below and click the button at the bottom of the form.

87. Re: Tribes: Ascend Passed 1M Downloads May 18, 2012, 00:56 Beaner

Jerykk wrote on May 17, 2012, 23:40:

So now we have Tribes Ascend and the same frickin problem exists. bad physics for chasing, auto regen, and hey lets add no team damage while we are at it.

The lack of friendly fire balances out when it comes to defense. Sure, cappers no longer have to worry about friendly mortar spam, but HoFs don't have to worry about getting pummeled by friendly LD fire either. The health regen kinda has the same effect. Chasers can regen while chasing while cappers can't heal at all unless they drop the flag. This gives chasers the benefit of being able to disc-jump multiple times. I play a Soldier with the Egocentric perk and I can disc-jump three times starting from full health, which is usually enough to catch up to the capper unless the map is really small and he's moving really fast. Health regen also means that defense never has to leave their position to heal, but it also makes it much easier for HO to harass from long-range because they can just keep healing, forcing someone on defense to leave their position and actively engage them. If they just increased the boost you get when disc-jumping from a standstill, that would solve a lot of issues.

It's weird that T1 was naturally balanced while the rest of the games haven't been. T2 massively favored defense, what with everything having tons of shields and the base turrets being pretty OP. Also, homing missiles everywhere. T:V favored offense, with disc-jumping from standstill being largely ineffective and the grapple allowing cappers to make drastic and sudden changes in direction. T:A favors offense as well, though the force fields, jammers and Super Heavy perk do make it more balanced than T:V. T1 had perfect balance. Cappers could move at supersonic speeds and fly off into the stratosphere, but defense had mine-discing and body-blocking to counter that. The freeform loadout system and ability to carry more than two weapons also empowered defense, as you could effectively snipe, chase and defend your base all in a single loadout.

People can defend the wonky TA physics all they want. At the end of the day whether you favored T1, or T2. Both games allowed for the extreme maximum in movement control and jetting. Excellent momentum (classic for T2). Neither one of them had chase issues. They had a higher intensity threshold compared to TV/TA. The chase skirmishes in TA are nowwhere near as exciting as they are in T1/T2. That's one of the best parts about the high level of play in Tribes.

This comment was edited on May 18, 2012, 01:05.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

Subject
Comment

;)   ;)   :(   :(   :o   :o   %)   %)   :)   :)   :|   :|   ;P   ;P   X|   X|   :D   :D   More

Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you have a signature set up, it will be automatically appended to your comment.
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

Email me when this topic is updated.

Special Codes

• b[bold text]b
  • i[italic text]i
  • u[underline text]u
  • -[strikethrough text]-
  • c[code text]c
  • +[bullet point]+
  • q[quote text (indented)]q
  • [quote="Author"]quote text (indented)[/quote]
  • [url=Link]text[/url]
  • r{red text}r
  • g{green text}g
  • b{blue text}b
  • m{maroon text}m
  • s{secret text (shows in the background colour)}s

Forum Rules

1. Disagree all you want but attacks of a personal nature will not be tolerated.
  2. Ethnic slurs and homophobic language will not be tolerated.
  3. Do not post spam, links to warez sites, or instructions on how to obtain pirated software.
  4. Abusing the forums in any manner that could be construed as 'griefing' will not be tolerated.

footer

Blue's News logo