Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Heroes of Newerth Patch Adds Content

The Heroes of Newerth Forums have patch notes for a new version 2.6.0 update that's now live in this MOBA game. The new version celebrates the game's second anniversary, and includes new community-created content. Here's word:

S2 Games, creators of the massively popular MOBA title Heroes of Newerth (HoN), is excited to celebrate the 2nd annual HoN-iversary with the release of a brand new game mode: Mid Wars. The direct result of input from HoN community members around the world, Mid Wars is a grassroots community initiative embraced and formalized by the S2 design team.

Launching today, this exciting new game mode distills the most intense pieces of the HoN experience into pure unadulterated fun. Mid Wars features a new map, an exclusive matchmaking system, and expedited skill progression to quickly maximize the potential of each hero. Additionally, respawn time has been slashed significantly and heroes will not lose gold upon death.

Post Comment
Enter the details of the comment you'd like to post in the boxes below and click the button at the bottom of the form.

8. Re: Heroes of Newerth Patch Adds Content May 13, 2012, 11:43 SimplyMonk

eunichron wrote on May 12, 2012, 23:21:
Though I have a special contention for calling it "MOBA" ... the "multiplayer online battle arena" descriptor could be applied generically to every genre.

Lines between genre's have always been fuzzy for the most part, especially when you get into some of the odder games like Savage and Mass Effect where it is essentially two genres, or one genre with strong elements of another.

My reasons for disliking the name of the genre is it is too wordy and specific (and saying "MOBA" makes me feel slightly retarded). I'd much prefer a simple "Arena" genre or "Battle Arena" as then that would also capture the Shooter takes on this game type that are popping up like Monday Night Combat or instances where the game isn't necessarily online or multiplayer (although I'll admit without those components the game is fairly boring).

For some reason "MOBA" just sounds like some silly acronym that would be used in Archer.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

Subject
Comment

;)   ;)   :(   :(   :o   :o   %)   %)   :)   :)   :|   :|   ;P   ;P   X|   X|   :D   :D   More

Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you have a signature set up, it will be automatically appended to your comment.
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

Email me when this topic is updated.

Special Codes

• b[bold text]b
  • i[italic text]i
  • u[underline text]u
  • -[strikethrough text]-
  • c[code text]c
  • +[bullet point]+
  • q[quote text (indented)]q
  • [quote="Author"]quote text (indented)[/quote]
  • [url=Link]text[/url]
  • r{red text}r
  • g{green text}g
  • b{blue text}b
  • m{maroon text}m
  • s{secret text (shows in the background colour)}s

Forum Rules

1. Disagree all you want but attacks of a personal nature will not be tolerated.
  2. Ethnic slurs and homophobic language will not be tolerated.
  3. Do not post spam, links to warez sites, or instructions on how to obtain pirated software.
  4. Abusing the forums in any manner that could be construed as 'griefing' will not be tolerated.

footer

Blue's News logo