Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Op Ed

Gamasutra - How long before the Kickstarter bubble bursts?
We are still in the early days of our Kickstarter relationship, the early days of falling in love. Everything our partner does is wonderful. We gloss over the risks, we ignore the downsides, because the glory of falling in love is everything.

I think we have about six months left of that period. Towards the end of this year, some Kickstarter projects are going to start slipping. Some will see their teams collapse amidst bicker recriminations. Some pledgers are going to start getting very angry.

Post Comment
Enter the details of the comment you'd like to post in the boxes below and click the button at the bottom of the form.

47. Re: Op Ed May 8, 2012, 15:00 ASeven

NKD wrote on May 8, 2012, 14:54:
ASeven wrote on May 8, 2012, 14:47:
Exactly, people are making the mistake that putting money into a Kickstarter project is investing in that project. Wrong. Putting money into a Ks project means you're buying the finished project when and if it happens, nothing more and nothing less.

That's not entirely true either, because if you are buying a product, then you are obligated to receive that product or receive a refund. Kickstarter doesn't have refunds unless you want to dispute the charge or file a lawsuit that will probably go nowhere.

But an investment may or may not get you anything. A investor can and does end up making investments that earn them nothing. You have recourse when purchasing a product that is not delivered, with an investment you have no recourse if you do not get the expected return.

Yes but when you put down your money on a KS project, regardless of what you put it, you don't expect to receive anything else other than what's on your reward tier. An investment is more complex and organic than that and in fact receiving what is described for you when you pay is exactly what a purchase is. I would define KS projects better as a purchase with an element of risk, the project you backed may or may not be completed even if the funding was successful. A good example of a risky purchase is buying a lottery, for instance. You don't get refunds and it's a risk getting one yet it's still a purchase you made, not an investment in the economic sense of it.

Of course, the problem here is the lack of refunds from failed projects or outright scams that manage to get enough backing to go on. I think that it will be inevitable for KS to start putting policies into their ToS to protect people from those. To be honest there's really not that much more KS can do.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

Subject
Comment

;)   ;)   :(   :(   :o   :o   %)   %)   :)   :)   :|   :|   ;P   ;P   X|   X|   :D   :D   More

Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you have a signature set up, it will be automatically appended to your comment.
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

Email me when this topic is updated.

Special Codes

• b[bold text]b
  • i[italic text]i
  • u[underline text]u
  • -[strikethrough text]-
  • c[code text]c
  • +[bullet point]+
  • q[quote text (indented)]q
  • [quote="Author"]quote text (indented)[/quote]
  • [url=Link]text[/url]
  • r{red text}r
  • g{green text}g
  • b{blue text}b
  • m{maroon text}m
  • s{secret text (shows in the background colour)}s

Forum Rules

1. Disagree all you want but attacks of a personal nature will not be tolerated.
  2. Ethnic slurs and homophobic language will not be tolerated.
  3. Do not post spam, links to warez sites, or instructions on how to obtain pirated software.
  4. Abusing the forums in any manner that could be construed as 'griefing' will not be tolerated.

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo