Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Cryptic Accounts Accessed

The Cryptic Studios Website busts out the tiny font to warn customers they have uncovered evidence of unauthorized access to user accounts on their network (thanks VG247). Here's a portion that covers what are likely the main concerns about this:

The unauthorized access included user account names, handles, and encrypted passwords for those accounts. Even though the passwords were encrypted, it is apparent that the intruder has been able to crack some portion of the passwords in this database. All accounts that we believe were present in the database have had the passwords reset, and customers registered to these accounts have been notified via e-mail of this incident.

While we have no evidence that any other information was taken by the intruder, it is possible that the intruder was able to access additional account information. If they did so, the first and last name, e-mail address, date of birth (if provided to Cryptic Studios), billing address, and the first six digits and the last four digits of credit cards registered on the site may have been accessed. We have no evidence at this time that any data other than the account name, handle, and encrypted password were accessed for any user.

Post Comment
Enter the details of the comment you'd like to post in the boxes below and click the button at the bottom of the form.

8. Re: Cryptic Accounts Accessed Apr 26, 2012, 05:25 Rigs

Saboth wrote on Apr 25, 2012, 22:45:
Wow, I'm getting tired of my information getting possibly "stolen". First it was Sony, then Trion, then Steam, then a CC breach, then Cryptic. All that in the past year!

What is the F'ing purpose of me making complex passwords if the merchants can't properly protect the data on their end?

This is why I'm not keen on having to make an online account to give away all my personal information just to play single player games (ahem Origin, Battlenet, Ubisoft, etc.) Just more people to get hacked.

FFFFFFFUCK! Dammit, dammit, dammit!!! Geezus fuckin' Christ, I'm about tired of this bullshit too! I play STO so I knew as soon I saw the news post an email would be sitting waiting and sure enough....

*sigh*

This is getting ridiculous. Someone in China tried to get access to my Facebook account just last month - again! That's twice. Now this. I knew this shit was going to get crazy when I found a list of like 10,000 logins and passwords up on pastebin and one of them was mine! So I changed everything. Not that it mattered, apparently. You're right, why do we spend the time when it can be stolen outright? But you're preaching to the choir, my friend. Ain't nothin' gonna change until they end up launching nukes or some shit...we never learn....

=-Rigs-=

'Now, we gave you a promise and we are bound by that promise and damn you for asking for it! And damn me for agreeing to it! And damn all of us to hell, because that is exactly where we're going!'
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

Subject
Comment

;)   ;)   :(   :(   :o   :o   %)   %)   :)   :)   :|   :|   ;P   ;P   X|   X|   :D   :D   More

Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you have a signature set up, it will be automatically appended to your comment.
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

Email me when this topic is updated.

Special Codes

• b[bold text]b
  • i[italic text]i
  • u[underline text]u
  • -[strikethrough text]-
  • c[code text]c
  • +[bullet point]+
  • q[quote text (indented)]q
  • [quote="Author"]quote text (indented)[/quote]
  • [url=Link]text[/url]
  • r{red text}r
  • g{green text}g
  • b{blue text}b
  • m{maroon text}m
  • s{secret text (shows in the background colour)}s

Forum Rules

1. Disagree all you want but attacks of a personal nature will not be tolerated.
  2. Ethnic slurs and homophobic language will not be tolerated.
  3. Do not post spam, links to warez sites, or instructions on how to obtain pirated software.
  4. Abusing the forums in any manner that could be construed as 'griefing' will not be tolerated.

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo