Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

Linux Steam Plans Confirmed

After years of clues, rumors, and speculation, Phoronix has a concrete confirmation from Valve of plans for a native Linux client for Steam, Valve's content delivery service. And it just keeps getting better for the site and its Linux-loving audience, as they say: "Valve does have some great plans for Linux beyond just shipping the client versions of Steam and their popular games on the Source Engine." Without getting too far into specifics, the author repeatedly effuses over Valve's embrace of Linux surpassing the commitment of other developers. Those prone to speculation will recall the recently confirmed Valve hardware rumors, as it seems to bear noting that a specialized Linux client is one of the favored ways to power proprietary hardware systems these days. Here's a bit on Valve's strong commitment to the power of the penguin:

Valve and Gabe Newell's interest in Linux goes beyond what would be expected of any normal game company, but Valve is certainly a unique beast. Listening to Gabe Newell talk about Linux for hours made me wonder whether he was a former ex-Microsoft employee (where he actually did work in his pre-Valve days in the 90's) or the director of the Linux Foundation. His level of Linux interest and commitment was incredible while his negativity for Windows 8 and the future of Microsoft was stunning. In fact, as soon as I return to my office this weekend I plan to try out Windows 8 simply to see if it's as bad as Gabe states and because he's curious about my opinions of this latest Microsoft operating system.

Post Comment
Enter the details of the comment you'd like to post in the boxes below and click the button at the bottom of the form.

29. Re: Linux Steam Plans Confirmed Apr 25, 2012, 17:39 raVen

I can understand your viewpoint about current hardcore Linux users not inclined to use Steam.
There is another viewpoint to consider: Those that would like to continue to play games and currently use Windows because that's the only option.

With NVidia recently joining the Linux Foundation, and we're seeing even better AMD driver support, I can see a storm a brewin in the near future.
I think it really boils down to how much support MS decides to give Win7 if people absolutely hate Win8.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

Subject
Comment

;)   ;)   :(   :(   :o   :o   %)   %)   :)   :)   :|   :|   ;P   ;P   X|   X|   :D   :D   More

Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you have a signature set up, it will be automatically appended to your comment.
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

Email me when this topic is updated.

Special Codes

• b[bold text]b
  • i[italic text]i
  • u[underline text]u
  • -[strikethrough text]-
  • c[code text]c
  • +[bullet point]+
  • q[quote text (indented)]q
  • [quote="Author"]quote text (indented)[/quote]
  • [url=Link]text[/url]
  • r{red text}r
  • g{green text}g
  • b{blue text}b
  • m{maroon text}m
  • s{secret text (shows in the background colour)}s

Forum Rules

1. Disagree all you want but attacks of a personal nature will not be tolerated.
  2. Ethnic slurs and homophobic language will not be tolerated.
  3. Do not post spam, links to warez sites, or instructions on how to obtain pirated software.
  4. Abusing the forums in any manner that could be construed as 'griefing' will not be tolerated.

footer

Blue's News logo