Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Crysis 3 Announced

Following recent clues, EA officially announces Crysis 3, saying the next installment in Crytek's first-person shooter series is due in spring of next year for Windows, Xbox 360, and PlayStation 3. "Crysis 3 is a thrilling mix of sandbox gameplay, advanced combat and hi-tech human and alien weaponry that shooter fans will love," said Cevat Yerli, Chief Executive Officer of Crytek. "Leveraging the latest CryENGINE technology, we’re able to deliver seven unique themes that offer stunning and visually loaded gameplay experiences. We cannot wait until people get their hands on the game." Though still a year off, they already outline three early multiplayer unlocks you can earn by preordering the Crysis 3 Hunter Edition (though the link they provide doesn't lead anywhere yet) as well as additional perks like a nanosuit module and an XP boost. Like Crysis 2, the sequel is set in a future version of New York City, here are some screenshots, and here's word:

Players take on the role of ‘Prophet’ as he returns to New York, only to discover that the city has been encased in a Nanodome created by the corrupt Cell Corporation. The New York City Liberty Dome is a veritable urban rainforest teeming with overgrown trees, dense swamplands and raging rivers. Within the Liberty Dome, seven distinct and treacherous environments become known as the Seven Wonders. This dangerous new world demands advanced weapons and tactics. Prophet will utilize a lethal composite bow, an enhanced Nanosuit and devastating alien tech to become the deadliest hunter on the planet.

Post Comment
Enter the details of the comment you'd like to post in the boxes below and click the button at the bottom of the form.

52. Re: Crysis 3 Announced Apr 16, 2012, 15:12 SXO

theyarecomingforyou wrote on Apr 16, 2012, 14:07:
Shineyguy wrote on Apr 16, 2012, 13:42:
Also, I agree with the sentiments here that 2 was abysmal and 1 was great.
Hang on a second, when did the original game become "great"? It had some interesting ideas but it really didn't compare to games like Half-Life 2 or Far Cry. People keep talking about how open Crysis was but most of the time you followed very similar routes and the narrative was still very linear. Far Cry 2 - which came out a year later - achieved a much more convincing open world, with gameplay that was also less linear.

Crysis 2 had a much better narrative and although the levels were smaller I felt they were better designed to allow different approaches. Just look at Deus Ex: Human Revolution - the levels were obviously much smaller than Crysis but there was much more scope for how you could approach them. Crysis 2 wasn't a great game but in my opinion it was better than the original.
I very respectfully disagree. I personally consider Crysis a "great" game, easily in my top 10 best FPS experiences. While it may not be quite the caliber of either HL or HL2, it definitely had me hooked and provided a few awe-inspiring moments. In the interest of full disclosure I'll admit I'm one of the small minority that even enjoyed the last bit of the game with the aliens.

As far as how it compares to Far Cry, I wouldn't say Far Cry was better. It's hard for me to say one was better than the other because I felt Far Cry's superior sandbox gameplay outshines Crysis, whereas I found Crysis' story and narrative far more interesting. Far Cry 2 definitely had a great sandbox design (and the most interesting healing system in an FPS), but it fell flat in every other way IMHO.

Now I'll admit I never sat down and played Crysis 2 myself, but in watching others play it I found it was not as "on-rails" as many claim it to be. Even so, it's definitely not a true sandbox game, more like small sandbox bubbles linked together in linear fashion. But admittedly this is the same exact thing Crysis does, just in grander scale so it doesn't quite feel as linear. But I would argue Warhead was closer in style to Crysis 2 than people seem to realize. My biggest beefs with Crysis 2 are its change of environment and plot (this was not the originally planned sequel), environments that felt less dynamic than Crysis, scripted events that felt far more artificial than the scripted events of Crysis, excessive hand-holding, and most importantly a storyline that I felt was cheesy and weak. I would've added inferior graphics to that list, but the DX11 patch put it at least on par with a stock Crysis. Although with mods, Crysis still beats anything out there.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

Subject
Comment

;)   ;)   :(   :(   :o   :o   %)   %)   :)   :)   :|   :|   ;P   ;P   X|   X|   :D   :D   More

Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you have a signature set up, it will be automatically appended to your comment.
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

Email me when this topic is updated.

Special Codes

• b[bold text]b
  • i[italic text]i
  • u[underline text]u
  • -[strikethrough text]-
  • c[code text]c
  • +[bullet point]+
  • q[quote text (indented)]q
  • [quote="Author"]quote text (indented)[/quote]
  • [url=Link]text[/url]
  • r{red text}r
  • g{green text}g
  • b{blue text}b
  • m{maroon text}m
  • s{secret text (shows in the background colour)}s

Forum Rules

1. Disagree all you want but attacks of a personal nature will not be tolerated.
  2. Ethnic slurs and homophobic language will not be tolerated.
  3. Do not post spam, links to warez sites, or instructions on how to obtain pirated software.
  4. Abusing the forums in any manner that could be construed as 'griefing' will not be tolerated.

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo