Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Dragon Age II "Exalted March" Expansion Cancelled

BioWare's Mark Darrah tweets word that a Dragon Age II expansion called Exalted March was cancelled as part of the just announced transition the developers of the RPG sequel are making to the "next phase" of the series (thanks GameSpot). Word is:

We did have plans for an expansion pack to DA2 but, other DA opportunities came up. There were even shirts! It was called Exalted March.

Post Comment
Enter the details of the comment you'd like to post in the boxes below and click the button at the bottom of the form.

60. Re: Dragon Age II Mar 20, 2012, 18:36 RollinThundr

Beamer wrote on Mar 20, 2012, 16:07:
RollinThundr wrote on Mar 20, 2012, 15:56:
Beamer wrote on Mar 20, 2012, 15:35:
SXO wrote on Mar 20, 2012, 15:33:
Beamer wrote on Mar 20, 2012, 14:06:
Yakubs wrote on Mar 20, 2012, 11:44:
Acleacius wrote on Mar 20, 2012, 11:32:
Probably too much to hope for but let's hope this means they are pulling their head out of their nether region.

I doubt there's anyone left at BioWare with any talent. Talent is not compatible with a marketing- and focus-group- driven approach.

Much of the DA2 team is from the DA team, right down to the lead designer.

I'll never get the blame on marketing here. These companies don't have enough marketing intelligence and skill to make calls like this. It's the developers and designers that are making these choices.
Same lead designer, eh? Sorry Charlie, but that's is just plain false. The lead designer for DA:O was Brent Knowles who was also lead designer for NWN, who decided to leave Bioware soon after DA launched because he didn't like the direction the company wanted to in with DA2. This is from his owns words mind you, he has a blog online you can read. Mike Laidlaw was the lead designer for DA2, and he's the one known for famously saying he didn't want to target RPG players exclusively, hence the changes in DA2.

I was on Brent's blog prior to posting this.
Mike Laidlaw is also listed as lead designer. There were 3. One now writes fiction. One made the most recent TRON game. And one made DA2.

3 lead designers. Brent was just 1.

And I'd say both Brent and Olhen had far more say than Laidlaw IRT Origins. The guy has pretty much come out and said repetedly he did things his way, to his likes in DA2 and doesn't plan to change that going forward.

You have any true evidence of that? All three were credited as "lead designer," and all three gave numerous solo interviews about the original.
Regardless, he was a lead designer of the original and he was lead designer of the sequel. He did not leave. He did not go anywhere. He knows what was well liked. He knows how decisions were made and he knows why they were made. And most of the team beneath him remained the same.

I've read his replies enough during DA2's development and post development to know. The guy is a douche.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

Subject
Comment

;)   ;)   :(   :(   :o   :o   %)   %)   :)   :)   :|   :|   ;P   ;P   X|   X|   :D   :D   More

Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you have a signature set up, it will be automatically appended to your comment.
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

Email me when this topic is updated.

Special Codes

• b[bold text]b
  • i[italic text]i
  • u[underline text]u
  • -[strikethrough text]-
  • c[code text]c
  • +[bullet point]+
  • q[quote text (indented)]q
  • [quote="Author"]quote text (indented)[/quote]
  • [url=Link]text[/url]
  • r{red text}r
  • g{green text}g
  • b{blue text}b
  • m{maroon text}m
  • s{secret text (shows in the background colour)}s

Forum Rules

1. Disagree all you want but attacks of a personal nature will not be tolerated.
  2. Ethnic slurs and homophobic language will not be tolerated.
  3. Do not post spam, links to warez sites, or instructions on how to obtain pirated software.
  4. Abusing the forums in any manner that could be construed as 'griefing' will not be tolerated.

footer

Blue's News logo