Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Beamdog on Possible Baldur's Gate III Kickstart

An article from Friday on GameSpy has quotes from Cameron Tofer of Beamdog's studio Overhaul Games about their recently announced plans for Enhanced Editions of Baldur's Gate and Baldur's Gate II (thanks PC Gamer). In addition to discussion of their plans to update as well as enhance the original RPGs, he explains their long-term goal is indeed to make Baldur's Gate III, though this is just in the talking stage for now, though some of the talk includes the prospects of a Kickstarter campaign to get this going:

"Baldur's Gate 3 has been our long term goal. We have a lot of things to put in place before such a project can be launched. So currently there is no such project but that's the one we want to do. Our thoughts have been that Enhanced Edition for BG 1 and 2 just make sense before there's any Baldur's Gate 3."

"We're totally thinking Kickstarter. It just makes so much sense and solves so many problems. I think what Brian [Fargo] is doing with Wasteland is very interesting."

Post Comment
Enter the details of the comment you'd like to post in the boxes below and click the button at the bottom of the form.

40. Re: Beamdog on Possible Baldur's Gate III Kickstart Mar 19, 2012, 16:16 Cutter

Dev wrote on Mar 19, 2012, 15:33:
As for 4 being a failure, I dunno. Is it a failure in sales? I noticed a ton of people getting into D&D for the first time on the 4th ed ruleset, and not just getting into it but buying minis and books. So regardless of if hardcore players don't like the WoWification of rules, if they get enough sales, it won't matter. Its like the consolification of games, its NOT done for the minority hardcore gamers. Its done for all the rest who outnumber them many times. And nothing prevents those hardcore players from playing with an earlier ruleset for campaigns.

On the other hand, there's some systems that are increasingly popular as alternatives. Whats that one where the rulebook is only $10 and you don't have to buy anything else at all to play? Is it "pathfinder" ? I

4 is failing pretty hard. It's the reason they're scrambling to get community input for a new ruleset ASAP. They've lost a lot of ground to other games like Pathfinder atm. Pathfinder has made a mjor faux pas however with allowing a couple of ex-EvE guys to make what is essentially a Pathfinder version of EvE. That means it'll either tank - likely - or just be a very small niche game. So that's a boon for WOTC, but they need to get some good new properties out because Cryptic's Neverwinter will now likely hinder them more than help them.
All in all they're pretty seriously fucking up what should be an easy way to make money which is just plain sad.

"Bye weeks? Bronko Nagurski didn't get no bye weeks, and now he's deadů Well, maybe they're a good thing." - Moe
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

Subject
Comment

;)   ;)   :(   :(   :o   :o   %)   %)   :)   :)   :|   :|   ;P   ;P   X|   X|   :D   :D   More

Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you have a signature set up, it will be automatically appended to your comment.
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

Email me when this topic is updated.

Special Codes

• b[bold text]b
  • i[italic text]i
  • u[underline text]u
  • -[strikethrough text]-
  • c[code text]c
  • +[bullet point]+
  • q[quote text (indented)]q
  • [quote="Author"]quote text (indented)[/quote]
  • [url=Link]text[/url]
  • r{red text}r
  • g{green text}g
  • b{blue text}b
  • m{maroon text}m
  • s{secret text (shows in the background colour)}s

Forum Rules

1. Disagree all you want but attacks of a personal nature will not be tolerated.
  2. Ethnic slurs and homophobic language will not be tolerated.
  3. Do not post spam, links to warez sites, or instructions on how to obtain pirated software.
  4. Abusing the forums in any manner that could be construed as 'griefing' will not be tolerated.

footer

Blue's News logo