Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Out of the Blue

Post Comment
Enter the details of the comment you'd like to post in the boxes below and click the button at the bottom of the form.

21. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 13, 2012, 08:16 Veterator

Sepharo wrote on Mar 10, 2012, 12:27:
Veterator wrote on Mar 10, 2012, 08:06:
May be their business model, but it puts the emphasis on them providing food instead of providing a good movie going experience...........which is showing more and more.

Huh? I don't know how raising the price of concessions equates with putting more emphasis on providing them.

In Metro Detroit we have a chain called Emagine that is consistently voted and rated the top theater in the state. All screens are DLP, all sound is great, every theater has stadium seating and very nice oversized plush chairs with rocking backs and flip-up arm rests. They serve alcohol and at one of the newer locations they are combined with boutique bowling lanes. All the while ticket prices remain lower than what you would expect (but which apparently is the national average).

I refuse to go anywhere else if an Emagine theater is near. Couldn't tell you about their concessions, because beyond the occasional (strong) long island the bar is going to make for me I don't buy anything but a ticket.

You are taking as place that's part bar, part bowling alley, part restaurant, part movie theater, and a few other things. It's like a one stop entertainment place. People might go for the food, drinks, bowling, or movie. So it's hard to say that their movies are the attraction that brings people.

Now around here we have Showcase, Rave, and one other big one I can't remember the name of plus a bunch of theaters that only show older movies (which are quite horrible). They might have an arcade, but have concession stands stocked and marked up. I'd say half their staff works the concession stand on a typical night. Most theaters are usually too cold in the winter and too hot in the summer around here due to them not sending in people to check the thermostats until the movie is about 3/4th over.

They don't remove people for talking, and I've complained when people are especially bad. They don't check to make sure the movie is working properly most times, I had to complain about that....

They rely on snacks to profit, when the movie is why people go....but they don't make enough money off JUST movies to justify bringing up the quality level by removing problem people and what not.

There isn't a theater around here like your, and I don't blame you for not going anywhere else. But theaters like that are not typical and are not relying on movies to draw people exclusively like others. I don't even bother going to theaters but maybe once a year for something to do with friends I haven't seen in awhile if they want to go. All the theaters around here are aggravating rather than fun.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

Subject
Comment

;)   ;)   :(   :(   :o   :o   %)   %)   :)   :)   :|   :|   ;P   ;P   X|   X|   :D   :D   More

Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you have a signature set up, it will be automatically appended to your comment.
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

Email me when this topic is updated.

Special Codes

• b[bold text]b
  • i[italic text]i
  • u[underline text]u
  • -[strikethrough text]-
  • c[code text]c
  • +[bullet point]+
  • q[quote text (indented)]q
  • [quote="Author"]quote text (indented)[/quote]
  • [url=Link]text[/url]
  • r{red text}r
  • g{green text}g
  • b{blue text}b
  • m{maroon text}m
  • s{secret text (shows in the background colour)}s

Forum Rules

1. Disagree all you want but attacks of a personal nature will not be tolerated.
  2. Ethnic slurs and homophobic language will not be tolerated.
  3. Do not post spam, links to warez sites, or instructions on how to obtain pirated software.
  4. Abusing the forums in any manner that could be construed as 'griefing' will not be tolerated.

footer

Blue's News logo