Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Origin Auto-Adds Steam EA Games

EA's Origin service can automatically find EA games on your system and add them to your Origin profile, reports Day One Patch, as a user reports finding a copy of Dead Space 2 purchased through Steam in their Origin account. In reporting this news, Joystiq has declared the process benign: "Origin is known to check out the file names on users' computers -- without reading or transmitting any private information back to EA, of course -- and it now uses that power to streamline your EA games lists. In other words, EA is using its power for good. And to better market its own titles."

Post Comment
Enter the details of the comment you'd like to post in the boxes below and click the button at the bottom of the form.

110. Re: Origin Auto-Adds Steam EA Games Feb 29, 2012, 19:07 Dev

Beamer wrote on Feb 29, 2012, 08:32:
Dev wrote on Feb 29, 2012, 05:39:
SO MANY MANY good games back in the day from companies that got gobbled and killed by EA. Those crusader no regret/no remorse were AWESOME games. Privateer 1 was an AWESOME GAME
You know that Privateer and the Crusader games were both started and finished while Origin was owned by EA, right?
Even if they were (and I see a post about how they have been started before), that is still included in what I said. Which was that EA gobbled and killed companies that made good games. I don't limit that statement to only games made before EA got them.

Often times EA would grab a company, they'd do one more decent game (or at most a few if they were prolific), then EA would kill them, or push them into a downhill spiral that ended up releasing crap and then kill them. There's a number of big companies that buy out smaller companies just to stop the potential competition, not because they want to actually USE their products or IP, but they just don't want anyone ELSE to use the IP. EA has a giant catalog of IP that they aren't bothering to use, IP that was successful back in the day, IP that still sells well from back catalogs on places like Steam or GoG. I bet if they contracted out some of it to smaller companies to do smaller scale (think indie) sequels, people would buy it at reasonable prices like $20. For instance I'd buy for $20 a smaller scale theme hospital, or populous, or syndicate, or dungeon keeper. And those are only a few games off the top of my head from ONE studio EA killed. Something similar to the originals, and perhaps not AAA graphics, but something with more casual graphics and good gameplay.

MS is another example of a company like that. Heck with MS, they are big enough that they've killed products or companies by just ANNOUNCING they are working on something similar, even if they never actually go through or even intend to do so.

This comment was edited on Feb 29, 2012, 19:18.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

Subject
Comment

;)   ;)   :(   :(   :o   :o   %)   %)   :)   :)   :|   :|   ;P   ;P   X|   X|   :D   :D   More

Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you have a signature set up, it will be automatically appended to your comment.
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

Email me when this topic is updated.

Special Codes

• b[bold text]b
  • i[italic text]i
  • u[underline text]u
  • -[strikethrough text]-
  • c[code text]c
  • +[bullet point]+
  • q[quote text (indented)]q
  • [quote="Author"]quote text (indented)[/quote]
  • [url=Link]text[/url]
  • r{red text}r
  • g{green text}g
  • b{blue text}b
  • m{maroon text}m
  • s{secret text (shows in the background colour)}s

Forum Rules

1. Disagree all you want but attacks of a personal nature will not be tolerated.
  2. Ethnic slurs and homophobic language will not be tolerated.
  3. Do not post spam, links to warez sites, or instructions on how to obtain pirated software.
  4. Abusing the forums in any manner that could be construed as 'griefing' will not be tolerated.

footer

Blue's News logo