Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Out of the Blue

Okay, the trend has now been established. In years when Blue sees a film nominated for best picture, it has a 67% chance of winning the Oscar. This is a trend covering three movies spanning six years, so I think it's pretty safe to consider this completely reliable.

Reliable Links: Thanks Ant and Mike Martinez and Acleacius.
Play: Mardi Gras Mayhem.
Building Demolisher.
Links: Gabe Newell Dancing. You're freakin' me out, man! Thanks Hump.
Stories: Oscar winners list (2012) - Inside Movies - EW.com
Science: Nature Editorial: If you want reproducible science, the software needs to be open source.
Light-switched local anesthetic lets scientists turn pain nerves on and off.
Media: 2012 Oscars: Sacha Baron Cohen vs. Ryan Seacrest. Thanks reddit.
Dog Takes Stolen Baguette Back To Her Kennel.
Ridiculous Scarf Project.
Follow-up: NMA: Oscars 2012: Academy Awards wrap-up.
Star Wars: Clone Wars - Darth Maul Returns Trailer. Thanks nin.

Post Comment
Enter the details of the comment you'd like to post in the boxes below and click the button at the bottom of the form.

14. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 28, 2012, 09:49 Ecthelion

kanniballl wrote on Feb 27, 2012, 16:00:
I liked the Star Wars: Bloodlines threaad by Karen Traviss. She put together this real nice tapestry outlining the past of the Madalorian warriors (Boba Fett) during Legacy of the Force: Bloonlines.

Lucas threw away every single scrap when he did the cartoon... he didn't keep a single thing. Which annoyed her quite a bit since she was working with multiple authors to get it in there. You'd think they'd at least borrow an device or theme here and there. But no, some months after publication he said "Bzzzt... it's all wrong"

So she flipped out, and said something that ticked off a lot of viewers so they hate her now even though her books were some of the best in the Legacy of the Force series.
I don't think this is very surprising. I've always viewed books in any series, especially Star Wars, as being secondary to the films, series, and other content made by the original creator. Lucas has occasionally borrowed a couple of things from the EU over the years; e.g. Coruscant (which came from one of the Timothy Zahn novels I believe), but it has been a very small amount of borrowing.

I stopped reading Star Wars novels because a lot of them had plots that sounded completely ridiculous (and many of the comics are even worse... like the one where Palpatine comes back and Luke "goes undercover" as his apprentice). So I never had a chance to read the Bloodlines novels. But I think any author is deluding him or herself if they think somebody like Lucas (or Gene Roddenberry back in the day, or any other franchise creator for that matter) has read a single page of any of their books. With a franchise like Star Wars that continues to produce TV series, it should be obvious that any novels are likely to get "overruled" sometime down the road. I'd also think that any authors looking at getting into Star Wars would consider Lucas' tinkering with the movies as a warning sign if they intend their novels to remain in continuity with the franchise.

It's a shame that they didn't find a way to make the continuity of the novels fit into the Clone Wars series, but it really shouldn't be surprising. If they ever make a post-Voyager Star Trek series, I would be amazed if they work in much from Star Trek Online or the novels.

The Clone Wars team does care about continuity to a certain extent... they have used characters that were previously only in the EU, and I've seen ship designs that came from games and comics. But it's kind of erratic as far as what they use and what they ignore or discard.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

Subject
Comment

;)   ;)   :(   :(   :o   :o   %)   %)   :)   :)   :|   :|   ;P   ;P   X|   X|   :D   :D   More

Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you have a signature set up, it will be automatically appended to your comment.
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

Email me when this topic is updated.

Special Codes

• b[bold text]b
  • i[italic text]i
  • u[underline text]u
  • -[strikethrough text]-
  • c[code text]c
  • +[bullet point]+
  • q[quote text (indented)]q
  • [quote="Author"]quote text (indented)[/quote]
  • [url=Link]text[/url]
  • r{red text}r
  • g{green text}g
  • b{blue text}b
  • m{maroon text}m
  • s{secret text (shows in the background colour)}s

Forum Rules

1. Disagree all you want but attacks of a personal nature will not be tolerated.
  2. Ethnic slurs and homophobic language will not be tolerated.
  3. Do not post spam, links to warez sites, or instructions on how to obtain pirated software.
  4. Abusing the forums in any manner that could be construed as 'griefing' will not be tolerated.

footer

Blue's News logo