Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Evening Mobilization

Post Comment
Enter the details of the comment you'd like to post in the boxes below and click the button at the bottom of the form.

26. Re: Evening Mobilization Feb 23, 2012, 04:08 Veterator

Beamer wrote on Feb 22, 2012, 22:34:

What it often is is bonuses in the form of stock options, so that there's very serious investment from all the top employees.
You have that now, but not to the same extent. Often, though, those options didn't vest for years and unvested options were forfeit if you left the company, so there was far less company hopping since you'd be leaving a very sizeable amount of cash behind.

I have yet to speak to someone of the "common employee" variety who have gotten stock options and ended up not feeling ripped off. It usually pays off really well for early adopters and guys who come in at top tiers, but if you join even as little as a year after the company formed...you're SOL most the time unless you're top tier.

You either end up with stock that's worthless due to dilution or the company is bought out and your stock is worth pennies on the dollar in the deal. Or some other "screw the non-execs" deal.

It sounds like a really good idea, but I have yet to speak to someone who actually ended up with an amount of money that made them glad they stuck around through all the BS instead of jumping to another company for a higher pay position plus whatever else was in the deal.

Seems like more and more, stock doesn't mean much unless you control enough to influence decisions. As an employee or investor, you're just along for the ride and hope the people who are making the decisions are set on making you lose any gains you were expecting.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

Subject
Comment

;)   ;)   :(   :(   :o   :o   %)   %)   :)   :)   :|   :|   ;P   ;P   X|   X|   :D   :D   More

Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you have a signature set up, it will be automatically appended to your comment.
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

Email me when this topic is updated.

Special Codes

• b[bold text]b
  • i[italic text]i
  • u[underline text]u
  • -[strikethrough text]-
  • c[code text]c
  • +[bullet point]+
  • q[quote text (indented)]q
  • [quote="Author"]quote text (indented)[/quote]
  • [url=Link]text[/url]
  • r{red text}r
  • g{green text}g
  • b{blue text}b
  • m{maroon text}m
  • s{secret text (shows in the background colour)}s

Forum Rules

1. Disagree all you want but attacks of a personal nature will not be tolerated.
  2. Ethnic slurs and homophobic language will not be tolerated.
  3. Do not post spam, links to warez sites, or instructions on how to obtain pirated software.
  4. Abusing the forums in any manner that could be construed as 'griefing' will not be tolerated.

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo