Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

Reckoning Dev: Piracy Prevents PC Exclusives

IncGamers quotes Ian Frazier from a soon-to-be-published interview with the lead designer on Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning, the imminent RPG from 38 Studios' Big Huge Games. He expresses the opinion that it's piracy, not the allure of console sales, that's making big PC exclusive games a thing of the past. "No, probably not. A game this big is very expensive to be blunt about it. The PC, with piracy being as rampant as it is, is really hard to make money from. My first game was Titan Quest, a hack Ďní slash RPG, which was PC only but the amount that it was pirated was the difference between us staying in business and going out of business," he tells them. "Itís really, really hard to be profitable by concentrating only on PC. Unless youíre an MMO."

Post Comment
Enter the details of the comment you'd like to post in the boxes below and click the button at the bottom of the form.

57. Re: Reckoning Dev: Piracy Prevents PC Exclusives Feb 5, 2012, 21:19 Darks

Verno wrote on Feb 3, 2012, 15:39:
CJ_Parker wrote on Feb 3, 2012, 15:19:
Most ridiculous quote of this still young year so don't get too proud of yourself just yet. What's next? You gonna claim that Steam saved the whales? Come on. Don't be shy. You know you want to cough up another knee-slapper.

If saying things made them true then you'd be the prince of the universe You can try to paint a doom and gloom picture about piracy all you want but the PC platform is starting to thrive again largely on the back of digital distribution services. Piracy is a problem on all platforms but it doesn't mean PC exclusives can't be successful, both independent and traditional publisher funded.

First off everyone, this guy worked on Titan Quest. Need I say more when it comes to how they treat PC users and their unruly tactics towards PC DRM. I lost all respect for this guy once he uttered the words I worked on Titan Quest. Blehh!!!

Creator of the Neverwnter Nights Eye of the Beholder Series of Mods.

http://nwvault.ign.com/View.php?view=Modules.Detail&id=6375
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

Subject
Comment

;)   ;)   :(   :(   :o   :o   %)   %)   :)   :)   :|   :|   ;P   ;P   X|   X|   :D   :D   More

Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you have a signature set up, it will be automatically appended to your comment.
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

Email me when this topic is updated.

Special Codes

• b[bold text]b
  • i[italic text]i
  • u[underline text]u
  • -[strikethrough text]-
  • c[code text]c
  • +[bullet point]+
  • q[quote text (indented)]q
  • [quote="Author"]quote text (indented)[/quote]
  • [url=Link]text[/url]
  • r{red text}r
  • g{green text}g
  • b{blue text}b
  • m{maroon text}m
  • s{secret text (shows in the background colour)}s

Forum Rules

1. Disagree all you want but attacks of a personal nature will not be tolerated.
  2. Ethnic slurs and homophobic language will not be tolerated.
  3. Do not post spam, links to warez sites, or instructions on how to obtain pirated software.
  4. Abusing the forums in any manner that could be construed as 'griefing' will not be tolerated.

footer

Blue's News logo