Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Microsoft Dropping MS Points?

Microsoft is planning on dropping its MS Points virtual currency by the end of the year, reports Inside Mobile Apps, quoting an anonymous "source with knowledge of the companyís decision." They say this will affect online sales through Windows Phone, the Zune marketplace, and Xbox LIVE. Word is: "By the end of 2012, all transactions will be based on the region set on the purchasing account and real money will be used to purchase all Windows Phone content. The move puts the Windows Phone Marketplace in line with the purchasing practices used in the App Store and the Android Market." Thanks IndustryGamers.

Post Comment
Enter the details of the comment you'd like to post in the boxes below and click the button at the bottom of the form.

20. Re: Shadowbane Closing Jan 24, 2012, 20:58 ViRGE

TheEmissary wrote on Jan 24, 2012, 19:24:
Comet wrote on Jan 24, 2012, 14:57:
Here is the thing. MS points allowed me to charge my child account with a fixed number of MS points. My child could waste those MS points on whatever he wanted. Now if he wants to buy a freaking DLC or anything like that I will have to do it.

This makes no sense. After all consoles are also TOYS. Thanks Microsoft for getting us used to a system and then turning it upside down.

Anyway. If people would rather input their CC information over and over again or not use the MS points system they could add that option.
I see no advantage on closing the MS points system.

I am pretty sure they will have a Wallet to load the account with a set amount of money. Steam does this and doesn't have to resort to a point system. The real reason they are getting away from points is because of the upcoming Windows 8 Tablets and the windows appstore. No one on serious computing devices is going to want to buy points to buy software.

Another question is why doesn't Microsoft implement game gifting through the live marketplace so you don't have kids dealing with money.
Bingo. You don't need to use points to have a wallet system. Points are just another (inferior) currency; wallets can be loaded with USD instead.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

Subject
Comment

;)   ;)   :(   :(   :o   :o   %)   %)   :)   :)   :|   :|   ;P   ;P   X|   X|   :D   :D   More

Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you have a signature set up, it will be automatically appended to your comment.
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

Email me when this topic is updated.

Special Codes

• b[bold text]b
  • i[italic text]i
  • u[underline text]u
  • -[strikethrough text]-
  • c[code text]c
  • +[bullet point]+
  • q[quote text (indented)]q
  • [quote="Author"]quote text (indented)[/quote]
  • [url=Link]text[/url]
  • r{red text}r
  • g{green text}g
  • b{blue text}b
  • m{maroon text}m
  • s{secret text (shows in the background colour)}s

Forum Rules

1. Disagree all you want but attacks of a personal nature will not be tolerated.
  2. Ethnic slurs and homophobic language will not be tolerated.
  3. Do not post spam, links to warez sites, or instructions on how to obtain pirated software.
  4. Abusing the forums in any manner that could be construed as 'griefing' will not be tolerated.

footer

Blue's News logo