Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Gaming World Record Attempt

Swedish tech-company MuchDifferent announces a scheme they say will result in a gaming world record, as they seek to gather 1000 players to play at once on January 29th at 16.00 CET (noon EST) in Man vs. Machine, a Unity-engine browser-based first-person shooter. While English mountaineer George Mallory sought to summit Everest "because it's there," this endeavor has another element, as they are selling tickets on this site to allow you to reserve a spot in the effort, though it seems that once the reserved spots are taken, the public will be allowed to fill out the rest. The price tag for this is steep: 200 Swedish kronor, which is just under USD $29.00, so if the event sells out, they will gross almost $29,000 for the session. They also explain how they will be able to accommodate so many players at once, claiming this technology can be translated to any game:

MuchDifferent has created a dynamic traffic router/load balancer, PikkoServer, that divides the battlefield between the game servers and glues the result together for the clients, multiple times per second. Although Man vs Machine is based on the Unity Engine, any modern game engine could easily be retrofitted with the technology to create something similar in a few months time.

Post Comment
Enter the details of the comment you'd like to post in the boxes below and click the button at the bottom of the form.

4. Re: Gaming World Record Attempt Jan 17, 2012, 16:31 Minuit

jdreyer wrote on Jan 17, 2012, 16:13:
Eve Online has had more than 50,000 concurrent players on their single server, so I'm wondering why 1000 constitutes a world record.

Try putting all 50,000 of those in a single system and then ask that question.

Or. Bet. Ter. Yet. Just. Put. One. Thou. Saaaaaa...

Saaaaaa...

Thousandinasin.

Gle.

[wait for it]

[wait for it]

[still waiting]

Sys -- Oh, crap, where did they come from? Time to buy a new ship.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

Subject
Comment

;)   ;)   :(   :(   :o   :o   %)   %)   :)   :)   :|   :|   ;P   ;P   X|   X|   :D   :D   More

Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you have a signature set up, it will be automatically appended to your comment.
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

Email me when this topic is updated.

Special Codes

• b[bold text]b
  • i[italic text]i
  • u[underline text]u
  • -[strikethrough text]-
  • c[code text]c
  • +[bullet point]+
  • q[quote text (indented)]q
  • [quote="Author"]quote text (indented)[/quote]
  • [url=Link]text[/url]
  • r{red text}r
  • g{green text}g
  • b{blue text}b
  • m{maroon text}m
  • s{secret text (shows in the background colour)}s

Forum Rules

1. Disagree all you want but attacks of a personal nature will not be tolerated.
  2. Ethnic slurs and homophobic language will not be tolerated.
  3. Do not post spam, links to warez sites, or instructions on how to obtain pirated software.
  4. Abusing the forums in any manner that could be construed as 'griefing' will not be tolerated.

footer

Blue's News logo