Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Out of the Blue

The weather remained warm around here through the end of the year, but things got pretty cold as soon as the new year arrived. It's milder the last couple of days, but it was startlingly cold earlier this week, but I still knew something was wrong when I went downstairs a couple of mornings ago, and could practically see my breath. It turns out the back door had blown open during the night, as it hadn't been shut properly: It seems there is too much weather-stripping around it, which can make getting the latch to catch difficult. Counter-intuitively, this seems worse in the cold (isn't that supposed to make things shrink?), so I have a weekend project to try and address this, as I don't like to think about the cost of all the heat that wasted.

Cold Links: Thanks Ant and Mike Martinez and Acleacius.
Play: Super Mario Challenge.
Skullhunter: players pack. Thanks Daniel.
FIVE.
Links: 10 Old Toys That Made Sense In Their Era (And Nowhere Else).
Stories: Tolkien Rejected For Nobel Prize Because Of 'Poor Storytelling'.
X-37B spaceplane 'spying on China'.
Science: Thick Martian dust makes NASA pick sunnier locale for Mars rover.
Can dogs tell when we're talking to them?
Media: Fishing under ice. Thanks dakslf.
Super Seinfeld Bros. Thanks reddit.
Failed Proposal at a UCLA Game. Thanks Digg.

Post Comment
Enter the details of the comment you'd like to post in the boxes below and click the button at the bottom of the form.

4. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 6, 2012, 13:17 Jim

No snow on the ground here, which is fine by me. I think it went down to 12 degrees or so here on the night Blue is talking about. No snow means we can still get to the observatory, but the funny thing is now the older guys are talking about "how cold is too cold" for us to be open. Turns out they can't take temp+wind chill less than 20F. It is going to be in the 40s-low 50s here over the weekend, so it looks we're good for at least one more week.  
Jim
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

Subject
Comment

;)   ;)   :(   :(   :o   :o   %)   %)   :)   :)   :|   :|   ;P   ;P   X|   X|   :D   :D   More

Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you have a signature set up, it will be automatically appended to your comment.
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

Email me when this topic is updated.

Special Codes

• b[bold text]b
  • i[italic text]i
  • u[underline text]u
  • -[strikethrough text]-
  • c[code text]c
  • +[bullet point]+
  • q[quote text (indented)]q
  • [quote="Author"]quote text (indented)[/quote]
  • [url=Link]text[/url]
  • r{red text}r
  • g{green text}g
  • b{blue text}b
  • m{maroon text}m
  • s{secret text (shows in the background colour)}s

Forum Rules

1. Disagree all you want but attacks of a personal nature will not be tolerated.
  2. Ethnic slurs and homophobic language will not be tolerated.
  3. Do not post spam, links to warez sites, or instructions on how to obtain pirated software.
  4. Abusing the forums in any manner that could be construed as 'griefing' will not be tolerated.

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo