Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Tribes Ascend Q&A: Tribes Universe On Hold; Other Starsiege Games Planned

Soar With the Blood Eagles on PC PowerPlay Magazine is a preview of Tribes Ascend that includes a Q&A with Hi-Rez Studios CEO Todd Harris discussing the upcoming continuation of the Tribes multiplayer shooter series. Topics of the interview include lessons learned from Global Agenda, the return of the Blood Eagle and the Diamond Sword factions, the passion of the Tribes community, the loadout system, paid content, and more. They also ask about Tribes Universe, and the answer indicates that this is on hold at best, but they plan to continue to explore the Tribes universe, as well as the Starsiege series from which it was born:

Our studio is a huge fan of the previous Tribes games. So after we acquired the rights to Tribes our first goal was to get the movement and physics and combat feeling right. When we made enough progress toward that goal we decided to release a pure match-based shooter ahead of any MMO and that shooter became Ascend. We do still intend to further explore the Tribes and Starsiege IP with future projects, but right now our Tribes dev team is working only on Ascend.

Post Comment
Enter the details of the comment you'd like to post in the boxes below and click the button at the bottom of the form.

1. Re: Tribes Ascend Q&A: Tribes Universe On Hold; Other Starsiege Games Planned Jan 4, 2012, 20:41 jdreyer

Given that it's taking so long for Mechwarrior to come out, I wouldn't mind seeing a modern take on the old Earthsiege games. It has been a long time since we've had a good mech game on PC.

One thing I hope they do away with is the arbitrary ranges. Just make the speed and accuracy of the weapon determine the range, don't make it disappear at 1000m or whatever. Same with the mechs (or whatever they're called in Earthsiege). No arbitrary weight limits. You can put whatever engine the engine bay will hold, and whatever weapons specific hardpoints will hold. Speed should be a function of mech weight over engine power, not some predetermined speed based on a table.

"Microsoft is the absent minded parent of PC gaming" - Verno
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

Subject
Comment

;)   ;)   :(   :(   :o   :o   %)   %)   :)   :)   :|   :|   ;P   ;P   X|   X|   :D   :D   More

Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you have a signature set up, it will be automatically appended to your comment.
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

Email me when this topic is updated.

Special Codes

• b[bold text]b
  • i[italic text]i
  • u[underline text]u
  • -[strikethrough text]-
  • c[code text]c
  • +[bullet point]+
  • q[quote text (indented)]q
  • [quote="Author"]quote text (indented)[/quote]
  • [url=Link]text[/url]
  • r{red text}r
  • g{green text}g
  • b{blue text}b
  • m{maroon text}m
  • s{secret text (shows in the background colour)}s

Forum Rules

1. Disagree all you want but attacks of a personal nature will not be tolerated.
  2. Ethnic slurs and homophobic language will not be tolerated.
  3. Do not post spam, links to warez sites, or instructions on how to obtain pirated software.
  4. Abusing the forums in any manner that could be construed as 'griefing' will not be tolerated.

footer

Blue's News logo