Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Op Ed

Kotaku - Nerds and Male Privilege.
The idea that perhaps the way women are portrayed in fandom is aleetle sexist is regularly met with denials, justifications and outright dismissal of the issue. So regularly, in fact, that there's a Bingo card covering the most common responses. Part of the notion of male privilege in fandom is that nothing is wrong with fandom and that suggestions that it might benefit from some diversity is treated as a threat.

But what is that threat, exactly?

Post Comment
Enter the details of the comment you'd like to post in the boxes below and click the button at the bottom of the form.

56. Re: Op Ed Dec 19, 2011, 06:02 Draugr

Morga wrote on Dec 19, 2011, 05:29:

Well what privileges? When comparing all the stats, looking across the board, it isn't men who are privileged in society, but women.

Your statistics was far from comprehensive, or 'across the board' Those are cherry picked to support his argument. The list is far-far from comprehensive.

What handed to them? You think all men have sugar daddies who come save them when they're in trouble? Hell no, for example the far majority of homeless people in every country are men.

Just because one has privilege, doesn't mean they will retain said privilege all through their life,

Of course women are not the enemy, and men are not the enemy either! Misandric feminists such as the author who wrote that article on kotaku can be considered as such though.
Don't confuse feminism with women, in general, feminists don't really represent the interests of women, such as their lack of respect for housewives.

I find it slightly amusing that you think feminism requires animosity towards stay at home moms/housewives. In this case, The point of feminism is, just like males, women would have the ability to choose how they live their lives. Most people I know that would consider themselves feminists would not agree with you that feminists are people that hate housewives. If thats what they choose to do with their life than so be it, that was THEIR choice.
Also, to call this article misandric is just false. You might not like what it has to say, but at no point does it strike a tone that is disparaging towards the male gender.

If you're looking for a website that really does a good job truly tackling subjects like real misandry, misogyny, etc. I'd recommend, https://noseriouslywhatabouttehmenz.wordpress.com/
Certainly not perfect, but what is. Of course, some might not like it because it doesn't pretend its us vs them.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

Subject
Comment

;)   ;)   :(   :(   :o   :o   %)   %)   :)   :)   :|   :|   ;P   ;P   X|   X|   :D   :D   More

Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you have a signature set up, it will be automatically appended to your comment.
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

Email me when this topic is updated.

Special Codes

• b[bold text]b
  • i[italic text]i
  • u[underline text]u
  • -[strikethrough text]-
  • c[code text]c
  • +[bullet point]+
  • q[quote text (indented)]q
  • [quote="Author"]quote text (indented)[/quote]
  • [url=Link]text[/url]
  • r{red text}r
  • g{green text}g
  • b{blue text}b
  • m{maroon text}m
  • s{secret text (shows in the background colour)}s

Forum Rules

1. Disagree all you want but attacks of a personal nature will not be tolerated.
  2. Ethnic slurs and homophobic language will not be tolerated.
  3. Do not post spam, links to warez sites, or instructions on how to obtain pirated software.
  4. Abusing the forums in any manner that could be construed as 'griefing' will not be tolerated.

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo