Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Op Ed

Kotaku - Nerds and Male Privilege.
The idea that perhaps the way women are portrayed in fandom is aleetle sexist is regularly met with denials, justifications and outright dismissal of the issue. So regularly, in fact, that there's a Bingo card covering the most common responses. Part of the notion of male privilege in fandom is that nothing is wrong with fandom and that suggestions that it might benefit from some diversity is treated as a threat.

But what is that threat, exactly?

Post Comment
Enter the details of the comment you'd like to post in the boxes below and click the button at the bottom of the form.

53. Re: Op Ed Dec 19, 2011, 04:09 Draugr

Morga wrote on Dec 19, 2011, 02:10:
This is a sad attempt by a Male feminist from Jezebel (they are under the same blog community banner with Kotaku. Notice how they link to each other) to put their hate filled propaganda into the gaming community.

Indeed, not only is the theory of “male privilege” dead wrong, if we were to use their arguments and definitions, we could say with statistical data that the opposite, or “female privilege,” would be a much more accurate conclusion. Truth is, feminist arguments hardly ever back up their claims of “male privilege” with anything more than superficial hyperbole or emotional tantrums. Sadly, all they can fall back on is the role of the oppressed victim in need of special treatment.

Yes, Priveledge can play out in several ways. You can be privileged in one area and not have privilege in another. These cherry-picked statistics aren't really indicative of privilege, and doesn't provide all the information, so it paints a skewed picture. for example, he could have included in his listing of stats that One in Four college women(25%) report surviving rape or attempted rape since their fourteenth birthday, compared to males at 3%, (on a side note did you know that women can be punished for being raped in some countries,) but then he wouldn't get a pretty post where everything listed is there solely to support his argument, providing an illusion of validity to his argument. The numbers don't tell the whole story, and all the numbers aren't even there.

Another example, they list unemployment rates in these stats, which shows women are more likely to be employed than men. What they left out of these statisics is that women are paid less for doing the same work men do. More women than men being employed is a result of the failing economy and stems from companies knowing they can get away with this, they are inclined to hire women instead of men or lay off male workers instead of women. If we looked at employment stats before the economy started taking a dump you would actually see that more men than women were employed then. They also leave out that men are more likely to be hired for higher-paying jobs. You'd be a fool to think that women don't have privilege as well, but you'd also be a fool to think that men also don't have privilege, and that in a patriarchal society, due to history, male privilege tends to be more readily apparent, and prevalent. Especially if you aren't part of the people who get to have that priviledge.
I think the wage gap is a great example of how male priveledge plays out. http://www.amptoons.com/blog/2003/10/07/the-wage-gap-series-so-far/

Of course, the article you quoted had a classic dismissal of feminism as calling them all emotional, Because we all know how women are, right?!

Also, I don't see what was hate filled propaganda about the article, No one is saying men are evil or anything like that, to deny that people have privilege (for example, males) and then talk about how their privilege influences something, I don't see as hateful at all. I mean, I guess you could see it as being hateful that he wants the gaming community to be more inclusive than we are as being threatening, but I certainly don't see it that way.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

Subject
Comment

;)   ;)   :(   :(   :o   :o   %)   %)   :)   :)   :|   :|   ;P   ;P   X|   X|   :D   :D   More

Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you have a signature set up, it will be automatically appended to your comment.
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

Email me when this topic is updated.

Special Codes

• b[bold text]b
  • i[italic text]i
  • u[underline text]u
  • -[strikethrough text]-
  • c[code text]c
  • +[bullet point]+
  • q[quote text (indented)]q
  • [quote="Author"]quote text (indented)[/quote]
  • [url=Link]text[/url]
  • r{red text}r
  • g{green text}g
  • b{blue text}b
  • m{maroon text}m
  • s{secret text (shows in the background colour)}s

Forum Rules

1. Disagree all you want but attacks of a personal nature will not be tolerated.
  2. Ethnic slurs and homophobic language will not be tolerated.
  3. Do not post spam, links to warez sites, or instructions on how to obtain pirated software.
  4. Abusing the forums in any manner that could be construed as 'griefing' will not be tolerated.

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo