Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

CD Project vs. File-Sharers Follow-up

Eurogamer has a statement from CD Projekt to the report that they are sending letters to those accused of pirating The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings. While restating their strong feelings about not using DRM, they clarify that this does not mean they are okay with their game being stolen:

However, that shouldn't be confused with us giving a green light to piracy. We will never approve of it, since it doesn't only affect us but has a negative impact on the whole game industry.

We've seen some of the concern online about our efforts to thwart piracy, and we can assure you that we only take legal actions against users who we are 100 per cent sure have downloaded our game illegally.

Post Comment
Enter the details of the comment you'd like to post in the boxes below and click the button at the bottom of the form.

46. Re: The Humble Indie Bundle #4 Dec 19, 2011, 14:14 Beamer

Bhruic wrote on Dec 19, 2011, 10:59:
I'm comfortable calling that stealing.

You can be "comfortable" calling it whatever you want, but you're still mislabeling it. Now I don't really care about the labels personally, but at the same time, words have definitions for a reason, and you're using the wrong one.

Oh, and it's worth pointing out - copyright infringement is a civil matter, stealing is a criminal one. The reason that people get sued is because they can't be charged with a crime. If downloading and playing a game actually was stealing, people would be seeing jail time for doing it. And they aren't.

Copyright infringement laws are mostly written from a time when it was impossible to actually steal something copyrighted without stealing something physical, so the laws were created around manufacturing and distributing, not around using.
Things have changed and the laws need to, and will, change with it.

Keep in mind, however, that you're stealing a game worth $50 or less, so it isn't like the cops will be breaking down your door. But you are stealing. I'm talking about morally here, not legally. You're taking something that someone else is selling without paying for it.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

Subject
Comment

;)   ;)   :(   :(   :o   :o   %)   %)   :)   :)   :|   :|   ;P   ;P   X|   X|   :D   :D   More

Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you have a signature set up, it will be automatically appended to your comment.
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

Email me when this topic is updated.

Special Codes

• b[bold text]b
  • i[italic text]i
  • u[underline text]u
  • -[strikethrough text]-
  • c[code text]c
  • +[bullet point]+
  • q[quote text (indented)]q
  • [quote="Author"]quote text (indented)[/quote]
  • [url=Link]text[/url]
  • r{red text}r
  • g{green text}g
  • b{blue text}b
  • m{maroon text}m
  • s{secret text (shows in the background colour)}s

Forum Rules

1. Disagree all you want but attacks of a personal nature will not be tolerated.
  2. Ethnic slurs and homophobic language will not be tolerated.
  3. Do not post spam, links to warez sites, or instructions on how to obtain pirated software.
  4. Abusing the forums in any manner that could be construed as 'griefing' will not be tolerated.

footer

Blue's News logo