Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

BRINK Free Weekend

The Steam Website is now offering a 75% off sale on BRINK, kicking off a free play weekend for Splash Damage's first-person shooter. Here's a refresher on the game:

Brink is an immersive first-person shooter that blends single-player, co-op, and multiplayer gameplay into one seamless experience, allowing you to develop your character whether playing alone, with your friends, or against others online. You decide the combat role you want to assume in the world of Brink as you fight to save yourself and mankindís last refuge. Brink offers a compelling mix of dynamic battlefields, extensive customization options, and an innovative control system that will keep you coming back for more.

Post Comment
Enter the details of the comment you'd like to post in the boxes below and click the button at the bottom of the form.

17. Re: BRINK Free Weekend Dec 2, 2011, 08:04 CreamyBlood

Nerve did the multiplayer for Return to Castle Wolfenstien and I was sold. Later on when Splash Damage released Wolf: Enemy Territory, I loved it. Especially when refined with the ETPro mod. A class and objective based game with assymetrical maps, it's my favourite MP FPS of all time. I still play it on occasion but the window of finding a good server with experience players is difficult these days.

Then I got Enemy Territory: Quake Wars. My system was slow at the time and I was working too much so I didn't play it a lot. I just re-installed it a few weeks ago and think it's a lot of fun. On paper, it has everything that W:ET did plus assymetical opposing teams (to a degree) plus vehichles. What could be better? The graphics are nice but I think what messed me up now that someone mentioned it was the locked 30fps. I've been having good times with it but maybe I should look into that. (I'm sure it must be fixed by now)

Also, I believe Call of Duty 4 came out at around the same time, was a massive hit and devolved the whole genre back into the stone ages. I wonder what Splash Damage thought of that? Here they were trying to expand and perfect a fast-paced and complex shooter into the next era and it was practicaly ignored.

I really can't think of a game like it that has been made since then. BF2/3 are different beasts. They are more of a free-for-all. They have classes but not the hit-scan, they have nice maps but aren't objective based. They use the death match mentality without forcing team-play and obviously that has worked and is what people like.

I had never heard of Brink and when it was released, I was quite surprised. But it immediately got panned at the time as it has been here in the last fifteen posts. It sounds like they dumbed it down and still didn't get it right. I'm tempted to try out the free weekend but it just isn't enough time. They should give people a full week, enough time to learn the mechanics, find some good servers and play. Especially as this is the beginning of the Christmas season, how many hours would I have. Nevertheless, I do want to see for myself as it's the only way to judge anything that you might possibly like. Maybe I'll get in a few hours before Sunday midnight.

One last thing that is just grammar nazi stuff. When did the term 'fluid' become popular? I hear it all the time in 'game journalist' reviews and the comments people make. I even hear it on the economic newscasts these days. It seems to say nothing and is a meaningless way to describe anything but it's used to describe everything: Fluid controls, fluid movement, fluid graphics, fluid gameplay. and yes, even fluidity in the economy in Europe. I took chemistry and physics in highscool. Fluidity in my fluids that flow from me in a fluid way. It's very fluid, dude.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

Subject
Comment

;)   ;)   :(   :(   :o   :o   %)   %)   :)   :)   :|   :|   ;P   ;P   X|   X|   :D   :D   More

Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you have a signature set up, it will be automatically appended to your comment.
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

Email me when this topic is updated.

Special Codes

• b[bold text]b
  • i[italic text]i
  • u[underline text]u
  • -[strikethrough text]-
  • c[code text]c
  • +[bullet point]+
  • q[quote text (indented)]q
  • [quote="Author"]quote text (indented)[/quote]
  • [url=Link]text[/url]
  • r{red text}r
  • g{green text}g
  • b{blue text}b
  • m{maroon text}m
  • s{secret text (shows in the background colour)}s

Forum Rules

1. Disagree all you want but attacks of a personal nature will not be tolerated.
  2. Ethnic slurs and homophobic language will not be tolerated.
  3. Do not post spam, links to warez sites, or instructions on how to obtain pirated software.
  4. Abusing the forums in any manner that could be construed as 'griefing' will not be tolerated.

footer

Blue's News logo