Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

More Origin Spyware Accusations

SystemLink has a video from a German gamer (thanks Joao) showing what's alleged to be spyware activity from Origin, EA's online service. This uses a process monitor to attempt to show what sort of data from your system is being reported back to Electronic Arts. Eurogamer has EA's response to this, which denies any wrongdoing:

EA Germany has now updated Origin's terms of service in response to the furore and issued a statement denying its software was spyware.

"We have updated the End User License Agreement of Origin, in the interests of our players to create more clarity," EA Germany announced in a statement yesterday. "Origin is not spyware. Neither do we use nor install spyware on the PCs of users.

"We do not have access to information such as pictures, documents or personal data, which have nothing to do with the execution of the Origin program on the system of the player, neither will they be collected by us.

"EA takes the privacy of its users very seriously. We have taken every precaution to protect the personal and anonymous user data collected."

Post Comment
Enter the details of the comment you'd like to post in the boxes below and click the button at the bottom of the form.

44. Re: More Origin Spyware Accusations Nov 2, 2011, 10:05 theyarecomingforyou

I have Origin installed to a different directory and when I ran Process Monitor it was only accessing the folder to which it was installed - it wasn't accessing programs like Skype, as shown in the video. Still, Origin has got a long way to go at the moment and if it's to compete with Steam it will need to offer a better service and be beyond reproach when it comes to privacy and the likes. EA has built up a lot of much deserved bad will and farming personal data to sell on to advertisers - whether anonymous or not - is a very bad start.

This sort of shit pisses me off because my latest mobile number has received a lot of spam - from texts to phonecalls - and it pisses me off that these shitty advertising companies can so easily get hold of my personal information thanks to other shitty companies like EA.

SteamID: theyarecomingforyou
Star Citizen: Blue's News
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

Subject
Comment

;)   ;)   :(   :(   :o   :o   %)   %)   :)   :)   :|   :|   ;P   ;P   X|   X|   :D   :D   More

Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you have a signature set up, it will be automatically appended to your comment.
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

Email me when this topic is updated.

Special Codes

• b[bold text]b
  • i[italic text]i
  • u[underline text]u
  • -[strikethrough text]-
  • c[code text]c
  • +[bullet point]+
  • q[quote text (indented)]q
  • [quote="Author"]quote text (indented)[/quote]
  • [url=Link]text[/url]
  • r{red text}r
  • g{green text}g
  • b{blue text}b
  • m{maroon text}m
  • s{secret text (shows in the background colour)}s

Forum Rules

1. Disagree all you want but attacks of a personal nature will not be tolerated.
  2. Ethnic slurs and homophobic language will not be tolerated.
  3. Do not post spam, links to warez sites, or instructions on how to obtain pirated software.
  4. Abusing the forums in any manner that could be construed as 'griefing' will not be tolerated.

footer

Blue's News logo