Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

Evening Mobilization

Post Comment
Enter the details of the comment you'd like to post in the boxes below and click the button at the bottom of the form.

1. Re: Evening Mobilization Oct 17, 2011, 22:45 Flatline

The sooner RIM goes away or overhauls the way it works with Exchange, the happier man I'll be.

I'm down to 4 users on Blackberry, and I hate it. Between the arcane permissions required of a dedicated email address, the touchiness of the server itself, and *still* having to pipe through RIM's central servers, the overall feel is that I'm using ancient technology to do something that other companies have created more elegant solutions for.

RIM really isn't getting where the market is going. If they did, they'd overhaul their technology from the ground up. I imagine that it's entirely possible to, for example, smooth out the installation and integration of BES into an exchange environment. I mean, starting with Exchange 2007, all the information for each user is actually already stored in Active Directory. However, BES is still using SQL databases that are incredibly touchy, channeled through a single custom "user" account that has insane privileges assigned to it. You can't even designate this account during installation: You actually have to log into the server using the service account or the entire installation fails.

Not to mention that I have to set up database backups and a bunch of other stuff to actually back up Blackberry, and even then I've had issues with restoring service from a backup. With Activesync, if I have a valid AD backup and a good exchange backup, I'm perfectly fine.

I understand why they rely on SQL. In a large enterprise where you might have hundreds or even thousands of handsets to manage it makes sense. But systems with less than say 50 phones don't benefit and probably suffer from it.

There's just gotta be an easier way to integrate into Exchange & AD. RIM doesn't want to spend the money though, and they fall behind. And then, even after all that, you're still trusting your data to go through centralized RIM servers, which seems effing backwards in this day and age. The phones these days are basically mini-computers. We can push encryption out to the handset without needing data centers owned by a 3rd party.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

Subject
Comment

;)   ;)   :(   :(   :o   :o   %)   %)   :)   :)   :|   :|   ;P   ;P   X|   X|   :D   :D   More

Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you have a signature set up, it will be automatically appended to your comment.
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

Email me when this topic is updated.

Special Codes

• b[bold text]b
  • i[italic text]i
  • u[underline text]u
  • -[strikethrough text]-
  • c[code text]c
  • +[bullet point]+
  • q[quote text (indented)]q
  • [quote="Author"]quote text (indented)[/quote]
  • [url=Link]text[/url]
  • r{red text}r
  • g{green text}g
  • b{blue text}b
  • m{maroon text}m
  • s{secret text (shows in the background colour)}s

Forum Rules

1. Disagree all you want but attacks of a personal nature will not be tolerated.
  2. Ethnic slurs and homophobic language will not be tolerated.
  3. Do not post spam, links to warez sites, or instructions on how to obtain pirated software.
  4. Abusing the forums in any manner that could be construed as 'griefing' will not be tolerated.

footer

Blue's News logo