Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

WoW Real Money Trading

Blizzard has introduced a method for trading real cash for World of Warcraft gold, albeit in a roundabout way. As noted on Rock, Paper, Shotgun, a new Guardian Cub is to be offered as a cosmetic pet in the MMORPG, but unlike similar items in the game, this does not bind to your account unless you choose to use it, meaning you can buy it for cash and trade it or sell it at the auction house for whatever amount of gold it will bring. In the related FAQ, they say they are comfortable with the economic implications of all this:

While our goal is to offer players alternative ways to add a Pet Store pet to their collection, we’re ok with it if some players choose to use the Guardian Cub as a safe and secure way to try to acquire a little extra in-game gold without turning to third-party gold-selling services. However, please keep in mind that there's never any guarantee that someone will purchase what you put up for sale in the auction house, or how much they'll pay for it. Also, it’s important to note that we take a firm stance against buying gold from outside sources because in most cases, the gold these companies offer has been stolen from compromised accounts. (You can read more about our stance here.) While some players might be able to acquire some extra gold by putting the Guardian Cub in the auction house, that’s preferable to players contributing to the gold-selling “black market” and account theft.

Post Comment
Enter the details of the comment you'd like to post in the boxes below and click the button at the bottom of the form.

9. Re: WoW Real Money Trading Oct 11, 2011, 18:03 Fion

PHJF wrote on Oct 11, 2011, 17:53:
Binding was the stupidest fucking thing WoW ever did (I don't do MMOs so I have no idea if this was the norm prior). The idea that all your equipment becomes worthless as soon as you find something better is a completely arbitrary way of normalizing a virtual economy

Don't get me started in Binding. I've been fighting against it since the idea was introduced in EQ and became mainstream with WoW. I can understand if some of the top stuff in a game is bound, but when everything is bound it's little more than a bandaid over a gaping wound.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

Subject
Comment

;)   ;)   :(   :(   :o   :o   %)   %)   :)   :)   :|   :|   ;P   ;P   X|   X|   :D   :D   More

Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you have a signature set up, it will be automatically appended to your comment.
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

Email me when this topic is updated.

Special Codes

• b[bold text]b
  • i[italic text]i
  • u[underline text]u
  • -[strikethrough text]-
  • c[code text]c
  • +[bullet point]+
  • q[quote text (indented)]q
  • [quote="Author"]quote text (indented)[/quote]
  • [url=Link]text[/url]
  • r{red text}r
  • g{green text}g
  • b{blue text}b
  • m{maroon text}m
  • s{secret text (shows in the background colour)}s

Forum Rules

1. Disagree all you want but attacks of a personal nature will not be tolerated.
  2. Ethnic slurs and homophobic language will not be tolerated.
  3. Do not post spam, links to warez sites, or instructions on how to obtain pirated software.
  4. Abusing the forums in any manner that could be construed as 'griefing' will not be tolerated.

footer

Blue's News logo