Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Unlock RAGE Hi-Rez Textures

An article on GeForce offers a guide to how users with at least 1.5GB of VRAM can unlock higher resolution textures in RAGE, id Software's new first-person shooter, and users with a video cards with at least 3GB of VRAM, can unlock even higher resolution textures. This applies to both ATI and NVIDIA GPUs, and they offer screenshots to show the difference these changes make. They indicate that the reason tweaking is necessary to force these texture improvements seems to be the result of errors in the auto-balancer that's supposed to handle this stuff automatically:

Based on our observations there does appear to be an error or two with the Auto-Balancer - though disabled for the screenshots, the on-screen frame rate display never moved below Rage’s sixty frames per second cap with 8k textures enabled, so why does the Auto-Balancer need to utilize lower-resolution assets? Perhaps it's overly-conservative to ensure that the frame rate never fluctuates? Regardless of the reason, the lack of detal is especially noticeable on the speed limit sign to the right and the ‘Loft Finder’ billboard above the collapsed building.

As mentioned, we visited other areas of the game also, primarily to judge the veracity of our results and observations. In outdoor areas packed with detail the results were identical, but in enclosed areas, such as the Mayor’s office in Wellspring, there was absolutely no difference between any of the three detail levels. In larger enclosed areas there was a difference in visual fidelity, albeit to a far lesser extent.

Post Comment
Enter the details of the comment you'd like to post in the boxes below and click the button at the bottom of the form.

71. Re: Unlock RAGE Hi-Rez Textures Oct 5, 2011, 22:17 Creston

frag.machine wrote on Oct 5, 2011, 20:18:

Maybe you don't have all controls in a fancy GUI to play around, but at least you still have the option to tweak it thru a config file, so the game is not completely a half baked console port. That said, I agree that after all this troubled launch and harsh reviews the game falls far behind my expectations, too. If they release a demo I'll surely try it (and may even buy it in the future), but until then... I'll pass.

Yes, and I'm glad I do, because with all the tweaks I've been doing over the past two days, the game FINALLY looks like what id has been promising for the past six years. (And has been showcasing in all those youtube trailers.)

That said, the entire decision to let the game auto-configure your graphics options was utterly fucking retarded from the start. This is the PC. It's ALWAYS been about choice. If I want to have a better looking game that runs slower, I should be able to set that from the menu. I personally don't give a rat's ass about 60 fps. 30fps is fine for me, and I usually crank games up further and play at 20fps.

Carmack's insistence on 60fps, every other consideration be damned, was just plain stupid.

But again, it now looks mostly frakking AWESOME (all the blurry 4x4 textures ignored), AND it still runs smoothly, so also kudos to Carmack for at least having THIS game hidden somewhere under the low res texture shit and the 400 different cvars I've had to change to get it.

Creston

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

Subject
Comment

;)   ;)   :(   :(   :o   :o   %)   %)   :)   :)   :|   :|   ;P   ;P   X|   X|   :D   :D   More

Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you have a signature set up, it will be automatically appended to your comment.
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

Email me when this topic is updated.

Special Codes

• b[bold text]b
  • i[italic text]i
  • u[underline text]u
  • -[strikethrough text]-
  • c[code text]c
  • +[bullet point]+
  • q[quote text (indented)]q
  • [quote="Author"]quote text (indented)[/quote]
  • [url=Link]text[/url]
  • r{red text}r
  • g{green text}g
  • b{blue text}b
  • m{maroon text}m
  • s{secret text (shows in the background colour)}s

Forum Rules

1. Disagree all you want but attacks of a personal nature will not be tolerated.
  2. Ethnic slurs and homophobic language will not be tolerated.
  3. Do not post spam, links to warez sites, or instructions on how to obtain pirated software.
  4. Abusing the forums in any manner that could be construed as 'griefing' will not be tolerated.

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo