Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

RAGE Interview

Ars Technica's RAGE review is online, giving id's just-released shooter a pretty good savaging. There's also an interview on Gamasutra on "The Creative Intent of Rage," discussing RAGE with id Software CEO Todd Hollenshead and artist Andy Chang and asking some pointed if not hostile questions about it being similar visually to Borderlands and Fallout, the oddly artistic bandits, its linearity, the lack of meaningful choices, the main characters lack of dialog or context, and more. Thanks ^Drag0n^.

Post Comment
Enter the details of the comment you'd like to post in the boxes below and click the button at the bottom of the form.

77. Re: RAGE Interview Oct 5, 2011, 16:09 Slashman

^Drag0n^ wrote on Oct 5, 2011, 15:41:
I'm basing it on the technical aspect. I fully agree that the PC release, in it's current state, is borderline inexcusable; be that the fault of id/Beth QA or a lack of timely driver support by nvidia/AMD. That just plain has to get fixed. Assuming that it does (and given the track record here, that's probably a safe assumption) I expect that the visual aspect of this engine will live up to expectations eventually in Rage.

Granted, I'm probably thinking of the things that bug me, like how one can see tiling in Fallout and other open vista games; something that isn't here. That bugs me as much as the toolbox textures are bothering you, but I do agree that Rage may not be the best vehicle to showcase those benefits in it's current state.

But, I have to admit, seeing the game actually run on my Ion2 Netbook kinda blew me away.

I dunno...I kind of think that The Witcher 2 looks better and I don't have everything turned up in it. The screenshots of RAGE that I have seen look OK, but they never particularly impressed me.

Back on the topic of the interview: I think that the thrust of the interview is that here is a game with so much potential that id never took advantage of.

What people seem to be saying is that it seems kind of pointless to build a world that expansive and not fill it with more interesting things to do and choices to make.

If id's stance is that this isn't an open world game with RPG elements and lots of exploration...why create a world that seems to scream that it is? That's almost sure to make people want the type of things that they are told they can't have.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

Subject
Comment

;)   ;)   :(   :(   :o   :o   %)   %)   :)   :)   :|   :|   ;P   ;P   X|   X|   :D   :D   More

Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you have a signature set up, it will be automatically appended to your comment.
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

Email me when this topic is updated.

Special Codes

• b[bold text]b
  • i[italic text]i
  • u[underline text]u
  • -[strikethrough text]-
  • c[code text]c
  • +[bullet point]+
  • q[quote text (indented)]q
  • [quote="Author"]quote text (indented)[/quote]
  • [url=Link]text[/url]
  • r{red text}r
  • g{green text}g
  • b{blue text}b
  • m{maroon text}m
  • s{secret text (shows in the background colour)}s

Forum Rules

1. Disagree all you want but attacks of a personal nature will not be tolerated.
  2. Ethnic slurs and homophobic language will not be tolerated.
  3. Do not post spam, links to warez sites, or instructions on how to obtain pirated software.
  4. Abusing the forums in any manner that could be construed as 'griefing' will not be tolerated.

footer

Blue's News logo