Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

New XCOM "Adheres to the Tenets" of X-COM (By Changing Everything)

This video offers the first developer diary from XCOM the upcoming X-Com revival in a clip titled "What is XCOM?" They call this a "really beloved franchise" that 2K Marin Canberra is looking to "reinvigorate...with a new entry that really adheres to the tenets of what made the original game so special," in spite of the change in genre from a turn-based tactics game to a first-person shooter. "Our telling of XCOM is an origin story. It's about experiencing the origins of this organization from a really zoomed in and boots-on-the-ground perspective," explains Jonathan Pelling, lead designer. "We really wanted you to feel like what it was like to be one of the squadies in the original game, and not the all-knowing, top-down commander."

So what about these tenets to which they are adhering? "We've taken a lot of the mythos that had previously been established, and sort of re-imagined it, or re-engineered it," says Morgan Gray, development director. "Like sort of the very small humble roots of the organization before it became this globe-spanning, globally funded anti-alien defense force." The diary goes on to offer more details about the game's alien invasion and the unusual nature of the organization combating it.

Post Comment
Enter the details of the comment you'd like to post in the boxes below and click the button at the bottom of the form.

22. Re: New XCOM Sep 22, 2011, 15:37 Jivaro

rlknight66 wrote on Sep 22, 2011, 15:28:
I'm looking forward to this game. Never played the originals so I'm looking at this game thru a different set of glasses I guess, but it looks really interesting to me. I'm sure if it does well and generates $$$ (which being a fps based game it probably will) they might used the funds to continue the franchise and maybe you'll get the strategy game you want, buuuut y'know I got a feeling that even if they do that they'll still piss off some fans because they still didn't do it the way they wanted - or because it was too similar to the originals - But in the end they're just a company out to make a quick buck - Whatever - 2K's got my money when this game streets.

You never played the original games and you criticize people for being angry about this severe change in gameplay mechanics and perspective? I would make some wise crack or call you some inflammatory name , but surely, you must realize how asinine that really is all on your own right? Or maybe you don't, in which case all I can say is 'congratulations', you are the target audience 2K is looking for.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

Subject
Comment

;)   ;)   :(   :(   :o   :o   %)   %)   :)   :)   :|   :|   ;P   ;P   X|   X|   :D   :D   More

Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you have a signature set up, it will be automatically appended to your comment.
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

Email me when this topic is updated.

Special Codes

• b[bold text]b
  • i[italic text]i
  • u[underline text]u
  • -[strikethrough text]-
  • c[code text]c
  • +[bullet point]+
  • q[quote text (indented)]q
  • [quote="Author"]quote text (indented)[/quote]
  • [url=Link]text[/url]
  • r{red text}r
  • g{green text}g
  • b{blue text}b
  • m{maroon text}m
  • s{secret text (shows in the background colour)}s

Forum Rules

1. Disagree all you want but attacks of a personal nature will not be tolerated.
  2. Ethnic slurs and homophobic language will not be tolerated.
  3. Do not post spam, links to warez sites, or instructions on how to obtain pirated software.
  4. Abusing the forums in any manner that could be construed as 'griefing' will not be tolerated.

footer

Blue's News logo