Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

Syndicate-Inspired Cartel Revealed

An interview on Rock, Paper, Shotgun talks with Shams Jorjani of Paradox Interactive, who reveals plans for a game titled Cartel, a squad-based RTS game that may be released as soon as 12-18 months from now. RPS suggests this will be more of a true sequel to Syndicate than the Syndicate revival recently confirmed by EA, which is not much of a stretch since the new Syndicate is a first-person shooter, while like the original Syndicate, Cartel will offer squad-based real-time strategy as well as "a global research and diplomacy map." They discuss the game and its setting in a "futuristic world," and Shams is pretty open about how this was inspired by the change in direction for the Syndicate game in the works at fellow Swedish developer Starbreeze:

Anyway, we are now in a place where there are many classical PC games that now have people doing remakes and new takes on them. One of these is Syndicate, which is being developed at Starbreeze. It was the worst kept secret in the Swedish games industry! But now it’s out there, and we were very interested in the reaction to it. Meanwhile we were kicking around a lot of ideas for what kinds of cool games we’d like to see made because nobody else is making them anymore. During this time there was someone over at 2K who said you could not make turn-based games anymore, that the new X-Com had to be a shooter because you can’t do turn-based games anymore. Now, we have tremendous respect for the Starbreeze guys, they make great games, but the announcement sparked a discussion about “what is in a name”. What makes a Syndicate game? The world? The gameplay? The platform? The name? What is it? Cartel was born out of this discussion.

Post Comment
Enter the details of the comment you'd like to post in the boxes below and click the button at the bottom of the form.

17. Re: Syndicate-Inspired Cartel Revealed Sep 21, 2011, 17:24 Tanto Edge

Annex wrote on Sep 21, 2011, 16:53:
Tanto Edge wrote on Sep 21, 2011, 16:46:
Hey cool!
I hope this turns out better than the UFO games. I felt those titles were alright, but neither captured what I was after in an X-Com revival.
Although they came close, they all lacked a lot of major elements.

I sincerely hope this particular title copies the original Syndicate games whole heartedly and unapologetically.

Should try UFO: Extraterrestrials Gold. The built in mods allow you to make the game function like the original Xcom game and makes the game like a true sequel.

Will do, cheers!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=705LEH3j2g0&t=0m24s
http://www.youtube.com/user/tantoedge
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

Subject
Comment

;)   ;)   :(   :(   :o   :o   %)   %)   :)   :)   :|   :|   ;P   ;P   X|   X|   :D   :D   More

Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you have a signature set up, it will be automatically appended to your comment.
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

Email me when this topic is updated.

Special Codes

• b[bold text]b
  • i[italic text]i
  • u[underline text]u
  • -[strikethrough text]-
  • c[code text]c
  • +[bullet point]+
  • q[quote text (indented)]q
  • [quote="Author"]quote text (indented)[/quote]
  • [url=Link]text[/url]
  • r{red text}r
  • g{green text}g
  • b{blue text}b
  • m{maroon text}m
  • s{secret text (shows in the background colour)}s

Forum Rules

1. Disagree all you want but attacks of a personal nature will not be tolerated.
  2. Ethnic slurs and homophobic language will not be tolerated.
  3. Do not post spam, links to warez sites, or instructions on how to obtain pirated software.
  4. Abusing the forums in any manner that could be construed as 'griefing' will not be tolerated.

footer

Blue's News logo