Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

GameStop Stops Selling Physical Copies of Deus Ex: Human Revolution

GameStop has stopped selling the copies of the standard edition of Deus Ex: Human Revolution they opened to in order to remove OnLive codes from Eidos Montreal's action/RPG prequel, reports CNN Money. The article says the game retailer is also refusing to sell sealed copies either, as they are seemingly insisting that Square Enix send them copies of the game without the code to play the game on the cloud-based service, and Kotaku has a copy of the mail telling GameStop store managers to pull the game from the shelves which states: "As GameStop is developing a streaming service in our Spawn Labs Cloud Gaming Division, the coupon that was included is for a competitive service. We are returning all copies of the regular edition to the vendor in agreement with Square Enix." They are, however, continuing to sell the game via digital distribution. There has been speculation about the legality of removing these codes, and articles on IndustryGamers and Wired (thanks Mike Martinez) each quote lawyers on the topic, saying that it is possible that this could result in lawsuits, but in each case speculating that such litigation would probably not be successful.

Post Comment
Enter the details of the comment you'd like to post in the boxes below and click the button at the bottom of the form.

24. Re: GameStop Stops Selling Physical Copies of Deus Ex: Human Revolution Aug 25, 2011, 04:56 jdreyer

The last throes of Brick n Mortar. They are really shooting themselves in the foot with this reaction. Losing sales, and bad publicity.  

"It's just a bunch of mystic bovine scatology to me." - 1badmf
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

Subject
Comment

;)   ;)   :(   :(   :o   :o   %)   %)   :)   :)   :|   :|   ;P   ;P   X|   X|   :D   :D   More

Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you have a signature set up, it will be automatically appended to your comment.
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

Email me when this topic is updated.

Special Codes

• b[bold text]b
  • i[italic text]i
  • u[underline text]u
  • -[strikethrough text]-
  • c[code text]c
  • +[bullet point]+
  • q[quote text (indented)]q
  • [quote="Author"]quote text (indented)[/quote]
  • [url=Link]text[/url]
  • r{red text}r
  • g{green text}g
  • b{blue text}b
  • m{maroon text}m
  • s{secret text (shows in the background colour)}s

Forum Rules

1. Disagree all you want but attacks of a personal nature will not be tolerated.
  2. Ethnic slurs and homophobic language will not be tolerated.
  3. Do not post spam, links to warez sites, or instructions on how to obtain pirated software.
  4. Abusing the forums in any manner that could be construed as 'griefing' will not be tolerated.

footer

Blue's News logo