Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

Op Ed

Ars Technica - What EA will lose if Battlefield 3 remains off Steam.
This entire debate can be boiled down to the simple fact that people already use Steam, they like Steam, and they resent being forced to set up an account with another service to play a game. This is especially true when it's a brand-new, untested storefront that's being driven by a company that has given PC gamers every reason to be skeptical. It's unclear if Battlefield 3 will be enough of a draw to make customers forget that fact.

For many gamers, Steam is PC gaming and, while threats of a boycott often seem hollow, in this case it will be as if the game simply doesn't exist for many Steam users.

Post Comment
Enter the details of the comment you'd like to post in the boxes below and click the button at the bottom of the form.

61. Re: Op Ed Aug 10, 2011, 09:51 nutshell42

Verno wrote on Aug 10, 2011, 09:07:
I doubt it, BF3 isn't going to be pushing 10 million units on the PC as much as I would like that to happen. It's about the money which is totally understandable but the way they've chosen to fight this is what I have an issue with. Give me a reasonable alternative to Steam, give me some new features and a price discount.

Ack. I'm with the guy who said that there's probably contracts that keep them from offering those discounts but everyone who buys BF3 on Steam would need to create an Origin account for multiplayer anyway. So use that. Offer free games, how about some old 90s Origin classics. And patch like a madman; if Valve take their time green-lighting the Steam version the player gets a "sorry this server requires the latest patch. But if you just download the Origin version of BF3 which is *free* because you already own the game, then you could play right now."
Free weapons for Origin players, free XP for Origin players, hell, free *hats* for Origin players. It's not like there's a dearth of dirt cheap incentives that EA could throw at you.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

Subject
Comment

;)   ;)   :(   :(   :o   :o   %)   %)   :)   :)   :|   :|   ;P   ;P   X|   X|   :D   :D   More

Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you have a signature set up, it will be automatically appended to your comment.
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

Email me when this topic is updated.

Special Codes

• b[bold text]b
  • i[italic text]i
  • u[underline text]u
  • -[strikethrough text]-
  • c[code text]c
  • +[bullet point]+
  • q[quote text (indented)]q
  • [quote="Author"]quote text (indented)[/quote]
  • [url=Link]text[/url]
  • r{red text}r
  • g{green text}g
  • b{blue text}b
  • m{maroon text}m
  • s{secret text (shows in the background colour)}s

Forum Rules

1. Disagree all you want but attacks of a personal nature will not be tolerated.
  2. Ethnic slurs and homophobic language will not be tolerated.
  3. Do not post spam, links to warez sites, or instructions on how to obtain pirated software.
  4. Abusing the forums in any manner that could be construed as 'griefing' will not be tolerated.

footer

Blue's News logo