Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Bethesda Sues Mojang Over Scrolls TM

The Word of Notch has word from the creator of Minecraft (which people dig so much it just enjoyed its three millionth sale) that in spite of his optimism when he was contacted by Bethesda's lawyers, Mojang is now being sued by Bethesda over their plans to title their upcoming game Scrolls based on the belief it infringes on The Elder Scrolls. Expressing his ongoing love for Bethesda and his continuing suspicion this "nonsense is partly just their lawyers being lawyers," he discusses his views on the situation, and here's a bit:

The implication that you could own the right to all individual words within a trademark is also a bit scary. We looked things up and realized they didn’t have much of a case, but we still took it seriously. Nothing about Scrolls is meant to in any way derive from or allude to their games. We suggested a compromise where we’d agree to never put any words in front of “Scrolls”, and instead call sequels and other things something along the lines of “Scrolls - The Banana Expansion”. I’m not sure if they ever got back to us with a reply to this.

Today, I got a 15 page letter from some Swedish lawyer firm, saying they demand us to stop using the name Scrolls, that they will sue us (and have already paid the fee to the Swedish court), and that they demand a pile of money up front before the legal process has even started.

I assume this is all some more or less automated response to us applying for the trademark. I sincerely hope Bethesda isn’t pulling a Tim Langdell.

Post Comment
Enter the details of the comment you'd like to post in the boxes below and click the button at the bottom of the form.

67. Re: Bethesda Sues Mojang Over Scrolls TM Aug 7, 2011, 14:21 Nucas

Jerykk wrote on Aug 7, 2011, 06:53:
Tim Langdell tried to do that with anything that had "Edge" in the title and he got laughed out of court.

Courts will acknowledge cases that involve blatant copyright infringement but they aren't going to defend frivolous copyright lawsuits for commonly used words.

to be fair that only just happened, after at least a decade of langdell making a decent living as a trademark troll. edge magazine had to pay him a "licensing fee" for their name, for example.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

Subject
Comment

;)   ;)   :(   :(   :o   :o   %)   %)   :)   :)   :|   :|   ;P   ;P   X|   X|   :D   :D   More

Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you have a signature set up, it will be automatically appended to your comment.
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

Email me when this topic is updated.

Special Codes

• b[bold text]b
  • i[italic text]i
  • u[underline text]u
  • -[strikethrough text]-
  • c[code text]c
  • +[bullet point]+
  • q[quote text (indented)]q
  • [quote="Author"]quote text (indented)[/quote]
  • [url=Link]text[/url]
  • r{red text}r
  • g{green text}g
  • b{blue text}b
  • m{maroon text}m
  • s{secret text (shows in the background colour)}s

Forum Rules

1. Disagree all you want but attacks of a personal nature will not be tolerated.
  2. Ethnic slurs and homophobic language will not be tolerated.
  3. Do not post spam, links to warez sites, or instructions on how to obtain pirated software.
  4. Abusing the forums in any manner that could be construed as 'griefing' will not be tolerated.

footer

Blue's News logo