Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

THQ Blames Red Faction: Armageddon for Losses

THQ's Fiscal 2012 First Quarter Results are now available, which consumes quite a bit of red ink, saying: "For the fiscal first quarter ended June 30, 2011, THQ reported net sales of $195.2 million, compared with $149.4 million in the prior-year period. On a non-GAAP basis, for the three months ended June 30, 2011, the company reported net sales of $141.2 million, compared with $160.3 million a year ago," and: "For the three months ended June 30, 2011, the company reported a net loss of $38.4 million, or $0.56 per diluted share, compared with a net loss of $30.1 million, or $0.44 per diluted share, in the prior-year period. On a non-GAAP basis, for the three months ended June 30, 2011, the company reported a net loss of $64.4 million, or $0.94 per diluted share, compared with a non-GAAP net loss of $14.4 million, or $0.21 per diluted share, in the prior-year period."

The report in part blames disappointing sales of Red Faction: Armageddon for this state of affairs, and Shacknews (thanks nin) quotes THQ CEO Brian Farrell from the post-earnings conference call saying this was a "niche" game and suggesting the Red Faction franchise may have ground to a halt: "I do not believe we went far enough in cutting our portfolio... Only titles we think will be profitable, like Saint's Row: The Third, will be supported in the future." Here's what the company's financial report says about this:

"We are disappointed in our first quarter financial performance. Sales of Red Faction: Armageddon and our licensed kids titles were below our expectations, and the late release of UFC Personal Trainer also adversely impacted the quarter," said Brian Farrell, THQ President and Chief Executive Officer. "Despite a light first half, we are looking forward to a strong and profitable second half, including what we expect to be the biggest third quarter, both in revenue and earnings per share, in our company's history, with proven franchises Saints Row, WWE and the uDraw GameTablet, all launching in November."

Post Comment
Enter the details of the comment you'd like to post in the boxes below and click the button at the bottom of the form.

27. Re: THQ Blames Red Faction: Armageddon for Losses Jul 28, 2011, 10:05 Verno

Oh and play RFG on the easiest difficulty level. Trust me, it's still really hard and I'm the kind of person who plays everything on the highest difficulty. Playing RFG at higher than Normal is just torture, the AI spawning becomes totally absurd.  

Playing: Divinity Original Sin, Destiny, Fire Emblem
Watching: Continuum, Star Trek TNG, Haunt
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

Subject
Comment

;)   ;)   :(   :(   :o   :o   %)   %)   :)   :)   :|   :|   ;P   ;P   X|   X|   :D   :D   More

Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you have a signature set up, it will be automatically appended to your comment.
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

Email me when this topic is updated.

Special Codes

• b[bold text]b
  • i[italic text]i
  • u[underline text]u
  • -[strikethrough text]-
  • c[code text]c
  • +[bullet point]+
  • q[quote text (indented)]q
  • [quote="Author"]quote text (indented)[/quote]
  • [url=Link]text[/url]
  • r{red text}r
  • g{green text}g
  • b{blue text}b
  • m{maroon text}m
  • s{secret text (shows in the background colour)}s

Forum Rules

1. Disagree all you want but attacks of a personal nature will not be tolerated.
  2. Ethnic slurs and homophobic language will not be tolerated.
  3. Do not post spam, links to warez sites, or instructions on how to obtain pirated software.
  4. Abusing the forums in any manner that could be construed as 'griefing' will not be tolerated.

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo