Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Blizzard's Real ID Testing Live

Battle.net announces Blizzard's Real ID party feature is now live in Word of Warcraft, allowing players to party up with their Real ID friends of the same faction, regardless of the realm they play on. The Real ID Website and FAQ have further details. Here's a bit:

When delving into the depths of Azeroth's darkest dungeons, it always helps to have some friends at your side... now you're able to issue a call to arms no matter what realm they play on. We're pleased to announce the new Real ID Party feature is now available for testing! This new feature will allow World of Warcraft players to invite their real-life Real ID friends of the same faction to a party regardless of the realm they play on, and then queue up for a 5-player regular or Heroic dungeon.

Post Comment
Enter the details of the comment you'd like to post in the boxes below and click the button at the bottom of the form.

51. Re: Blizzard's Real ID Testing Live Jul 16, 2011, 07:53 Zadig

fujiJuice wrote on Jul 15, 2011, 13:27:
Zadig wrote on Jul 15, 2011, 12:48:
Abandoning the multiple server model in future MMOs is my preferred fix, but this is a nice way to address that flaw in the older games.

I don't think you will ever see this. I prefer multiple world servers over having every different location being an instance server, it ruins the world scope of an MMO in my opinion. In fact I don't feel such a configuration falls under the definition of MMO, which is why I disagree with Guild Wars being called one. Now I realize EVE doesn't do this, but 400,000 people on one server is different than 10 million. Even if it was technologically feasible in the future, it wouldn't be practical, nothing could be accomplished do to the sheer number of people around.

EVE is capable of scaling to accommodate any number of players simply by expanding the gameworld as the population increases. There's no leveling and content is largely player driven so adding new systems (zones) for people to mine, mission, and murder each other is a simple matter. There are hardware issues caused by players per system, but not total players. I don't think of Guild Wars as an MMO either, but I prefer instancing and a unified community over the alternative.

My suggestion is aimed at the doomed WoWclones that will never see 100k subscribers much less 10 million. They start with dozens of servers and then shut most of them down a few months later. They can skip that embarrassment by just sticking everyone on one server to begin with and expand if needed. Their ultimate populations would be higher too, since players would have a better chance of finding people they enjoy playing with before they quit to try one of the 378,912 other MMOs.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

Subject
Comment

;)   ;)   :(   :(   :o   :o   %)   %)   :)   :)   :|   :|   ;P   ;P   X|   X|   :D   :D   More

Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you have a signature set up, it will be automatically appended to your comment.
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

Email me when this topic is updated.

Special Codes

• b[bold text]b
  • i[italic text]i
  • u[underline text]u
  • -[strikethrough text]-
  • c[code text]c
  • +[bullet point]+
  • q[quote text (indented)]q
  • [quote="Author"]quote text (indented)[/quote]
  • [url=Link]text[/url]
  • r{red text}r
  • g{green text}g
  • b{blue text}b
  • m{maroon text}m
  • s{secret text (shows in the background colour)}s

Forum Rules

1. Disagree all you want but attacks of a personal nature will not be tolerated.
  2. Ethnic slurs and homophobic language will not be tolerated.
  3. Do not post spam, links to warez sites, or instructions on how to obtain pirated software.
  4. Abusing the forums in any manner that could be construed as 'griefing' will not be tolerated.

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo