Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

On the Star Wars Galaxies Closure

The Escapist has a write-up of John Smedley's talk at SOE Fan Faire 2011, where, among other things, the SOE CEO explains the closure of Star Wars Galaxies (thanks Ant via Slashdot). Here's the explanation:

"It was time to turn it off. We have a contractual relationship that's ending in 2012, The Old Republic launching, a bunch of other business things with LucasArts," Smedley said. "And then you look at the odds of a pretty large portion of the audience moving to TOR, which looks like a terrific game. I think that's going to be really well-received by the population." You can't deny Smedley's business sense there.

Post Comment
Enter the details of the comment you'd like to post in the boxes below and click the button at the bottom of the form.

5. Re: On Star Wars Galaxies Closure Jul 12, 2011, 11:29 Fion

As I expected the contract was up soon so they figured they might as well close it before ToR ships.

Though when he says that SWG players are going to love The Old Republic I'm not so sure. I have a good number of friends who still play SWG and not a one of them is planning on picking up ToR for one simple reason. It isn't a sandbox game. SWG is still going (and has a decent number of subscribers) because a great many of those people play the game very socially. As anyone who has ever played can tell you, that as a major part of the game. Hanging out in the Cantina. Crafting some goodies to sell, advertising with your R2 unit. Working on your city. ToR is a strictly WoW style MMOG, I doubt there will even be RP servers. So these folks most certainly are not automatically going to hit up ToR when it releases.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

Subject
Comment

;)   ;)   :(   :(   :o   :o   %)   %)   :)   :)   :|   :|   ;P   ;P   X|   X|   :D   :D   More

Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you have a signature set up, it will be automatically appended to your comment.
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

Email me when this topic is updated.

Special Codes

• b[bold text]b
  • i[italic text]i
  • u[underline text]u
  • -[strikethrough text]-
  • c[code text]c
  • +[bullet point]+
  • q[quote text (indented)]q
  • [quote="Author"]quote text (indented)[/quote]
  • [url=Link]text[/url]
  • r{red text}r
  • g{green text}g
  • b{blue text}b
  • m{maroon text}m
  • s{secret text (shows in the background colour)}s

Forum Rules

1. Disagree all you want but attacks of a personal nature will not be tolerated.
  2. Ethnic slurs and homophobic language will not be tolerated.
  3. Do not post spam, links to warez sites, or instructions on how to obtain pirated software.
  4. Abusing the forums in any manner that could be construed as 'griefing' will not be tolerated.

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo