Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

Star Wars Galaxies Ending in December

The Star Wars Galaxies Website announces SOE's Star Wars MMORPG will be ending on December 15, 2011, which clarifies how it would operate alongside BioWare's upcoming Star Wars The Old Republic MMORPG, which is to say that it won't. In spite of this news, the update also discusses plans for improvements planned for the game before it goes away, saying: "Yes, we are going to finish the GCW 2- Space update. As we mentioned previously, this update will have large scale GCW space battles, the ACE pilot system, and three new player ships. In addition, we are going through several of the existing ships and fixing some collision issues to make ship combat more balanced." Here's word on the shutdown:

This is the producer note that I never wanted to write. As was announced today, the Star Wars Galaxies service will come to an end on December 15th, 2011. Galaxies has been a part of all our lives for so many years that it's really going to be hard to see it end. It has meant different things to each of us. For some it's about combat. For others it's about socializing, or crafting, or collecting, or decorating, or fishing, or adventuring, or more. For all of us, though, Galaxies is about sharing experiences with our friends. May of this year was my 7th year working on this game. As a developer, Galaxies has been an opportunity for me to learn how to create a virtual universe and to interact with a community that is very passionate about the product I work on. When you look back at all the updates over the years, it's very impressive how much we managed to get done. In the end, it is our fans that made all the hard work and effort worth it.

Post Comment
Enter the details of the comment you'd like to post in the boxes below and click the button at the bottom of the form.

36. Re: Star Wars Galaxies Ending in December Jun 25, 2011, 12:25 Stormsinger

Jonny wrote on Jun 25, 2011, 06:03:
Stormsinger wrote on Jun 24, 2011, 20:03:
Jonny wrote on Jun 24, 2011, 19:36:
Pity all those who stuck with it are being buggered for EA/Bioware's bottom line though.
Say what?! You really think Sony gives two fucks for EA's bottom line?

Not at all, but as others have said, Lucasarts will care. Pretty sure the license to run a Star Wars MMO has been yanked from Sony so as not to confuse the public by offering two MMOs of the same IP.

But even there, LucasArts doesn't give a damn about EA's bottom line. LucasArts cares about LucasArts' bottom line...nothing more. Nobody is doing anything for the sake of EA's bottom line except EA (and I have my doubts about whether there is any intelligence behind their actions too).

That said, I'm not terribly clear why anyone would think SWG's tiny market share would have the slightest effect on TOR...the only way that could happen is if TOR is a massive failure.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

Subject
Comment

;)   ;)   :(   :(   :o   :o   %)   %)   :)   :)   :|   :|   ;P   ;P   X|   X|   :D   :D   More

Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you have a signature set up, it will be automatically appended to your comment.
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

Email me when this topic is updated.

Special Codes

• b[bold text]b
  • i[italic text]i
  • u[underline text]u
  • -[strikethrough text]-
  • c[code text]c
  • +[bullet point]+
  • q[quote text (indented)]q
  • [quote="Author"]quote text (indented)[/quote]
  • [url=Link]text[/url]
  • r{red text}r
  • g{green text}g
  • b{blue text}b
  • m{maroon text}m
  • s{secret text (shows in the background colour)}s

Forum Rules

1. Disagree all you want but attacks of a personal nature will not be tolerated.
  2. Ethnic slurs and homophobic language will not be tolerated.
  3. Do not post spam, links to warez sites, or instructions on how to obtain pirated software.
  4. Abusing the forums in any manner that could be construed as 'griefing' will not be tolerated.

footer

Blue's News logo