Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Valve Single Player Clarification

A Gabe Newell interview offers a clarification of recent comments that "Portal 2 will probably be Valve's last game with an isolated single-player experience." Here's word:

“I think what we’re trying to talk about is the fact that, not that we’re not doing single player games. Portal 2 was a pretty good example of what we’ve learned over the years in terms of how to create those experiences. It’s more that we think we have to work harder in the future, that entertainment is inherently increased in value by having it be social, by letting you play with your friends, by recognizing that you’re connected with other people.”
[…]
“That’s the thing that we’re trying to say, is that, single player is great but we also have to recognize that you have friends, and we wanna have that connected as well. So, it’s not about giving up on single player at all, it’s like saying, we actually think that there’s a bunch of features and capabilities that we need to add into our single player games to recognize the socially connected gamer.”

Thanks RipTen via VG247.

Post Comment
Enter the details of the comment you'd like to post in the boxes below and click the button at the bottom of the form.

73. Re: Valve Single Player Clarification May 10, 2011, 20:07 Beamer

I still have screenshots of scores dating back to DN3D, so even back then some gamers liked having something more permanent than just tears.

I'm fine with unlocks, but they need to be balanced. I think MW did this best thus far. 99% of unlocks were merely images, and those were actually a ton of fun to get. Again, because most often you'd get them without a clue you were going to do so. You throw a drop smoke and accidentally kill someone with it. BAM new title.
Most of the other unlocks made a player different, not better. Yes, the starting setup sucked, but within a short amount of time you'd have everything a SKILLED player would need to dominate. The only truely awesome things you could get otherwise were:
1) Dual p90s. I consider this a balancing flaw, though.
2) AK47. But you got this right before you "prestiged," which meant most better players didn't have it long.

I hated MMORPGs because they reward time, not skill. In fact, there's zero skill. To say unlockables take skill out of a game is idiotic, though. It's just a massively blanket statement. If you're good you're good. What it DOES take out, and what modern games even without it take out, is the whole weapon-pattern-domination strategy from older games where you knew every path from the machine gun to the rocket launcher to the ultrahealth to the ultradamage. But new strategies rise in place.

And, for some, it's entertaining to feel like you've mastered the game only to have a new weapon unlock that you can learn to use and adapt with. Blah Blah Blah "but a good player should be doing that anyway." F that, I could have killed most of you ten times over in CS, AQ2 or DN3D. You want to go with the big epeen argument I'll give you the big epeen response.

I've yet to see a game give someone Dmg++++ because they play lots. If I do I'll skip that game. So will most people.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

Subject
Comment

;)   ;)   :(   :(   :o   :o   %)   %)   :)   :)   :|   :|   ;P   ;P   X|   X|   :D   :D   More

Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you have a signature set up, it will be automatically appended to your comment.
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

Email me when this topic is updated.

Special Codes

• b[bold text]b
  • i[italic text]i
  • u[underline text]u
  • -[strikethrough text]-
  • c[code text]c
  • +[bullet point]+
  • q[quote text (indented)]q
  • [quote="Author"]quote text (indented)[/quote]
  • [url=Link]text[/url]
  • r{red text}r
  • g{green text}g
  • b{blue text}b
  • m{maroon text}m
  • s{secret text (shows in the background colour)}s

Forum Rules

1. Disagree all you want but attacks of a personal nature will not be tolerated.
  2. Ethnic slurs and homophobic language will not be tolerated.
  3. Do not post spam, links to warez sites, or instructions on how to obtain pirated software.
  4. Abusing the forums in any manner that could be construed as 'griefing' will not be tolerated.

footer

Blue's News logo