Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

APB-Reloaded Open Beta This Month

The APB-Reloaded Website announces May 18 as the launch date for formal open beta testing of the upcoming resurrection of the APB: All Points Bulletin, the online sandbox shooter. That said, they also announce that most everyone interested in being a tester will probably be offered access to the beta before then:

However, between now and the Open Beta date (ie for the next two weeks), we will progressively permit access to MOST PEOPLE (17 or older in the US and 18 or older in the rest of the world) who do two things (1) creates (or already has) a GamersFirst Account with the appropriate info (see the link to the right of the blog) and then (2) submits his/her email (matching the G1 account) at the front of the APB page (www.gamersfirst.com/apb) in the "Newsletter Signup Email form." This will let us slowly turn up "the heat" on our servers before going fully "open."

Post Comment
Enter the details of the comment you'd like to post in the boxes below and click the button at the bottom of the form.

15. Re: APB-Reloaded Open Beta This Month May 4, 2011, 17:59 Veterator

The poster with the list obviously failed to realize that he was playing a CLOSED BETA!

Oh I realize it's called a beta, but I also realize they are taking money into their cash shop. If they are accepting money into their system they must think it's pretty much ready for prime time. Which is why they are moving into open beta. Which at that point most people would agree a game in open beta needs minor changes and stress testing. We'll cover that later.

G1 let a lot of players into the closed beta that thought they were playing a polished game that was ready for release.....that is not what a closed beta is!

Total agree that a closed beta is not meant to be polished, but moving into Open beta in this state is not what open beta is either. These problems should be mostly cleared up prior to being in open beta so they can balance a near finished system once the flood hits. Not a broken system that you are telling people will be fixed soon, otherwise they are not actually polishing up anything if they plan on replacing it or revamping it. If they replace it before open beta, then woops my bad. But it's still in this state as of right now.

This guy OBVIOUSLY doesn't read the dev's blog or keep up with the latest developments in the game.

They have servers on the West Coast only in the US....and servers in Germany, I believe, for the EU....so yes lag is an issue.
Yes lag is an issue, although I have no way to know if the lag will be gone once they open a DC location or majorly worse once open beta arrives because the server can't handle it's current load of people.

The cheaters are talked about and they mentioned that they are letting the cheaters do their thing in order to observe them.

If something comes of it great, but right now you're pretty much saying they are letting the cheaters do whatever the hell they want. So.....yeah.

Matchmaking is being worked on and is a lot better than it was. They plan on releasing a whole new system, along with a district ONLY for low level players....if they choose to play there...so they don't get into matches with higher ranked players.

They can plan all they want, right now this doesn't exist. Once it's in, if it's setup properly then great. And that's great that matchmaking is being worked on, but again...obviously flawed system being brought into open beta is not useful.

Vehicle griefing has been fixed....if you're not in a mission then your car will bounce off of the dump truck instead of exploding. Can you still pin a car? I think so....but they reduced the amount of trucks so this isn't even an issue anymore....and if you're stupid enough to let a dump truck pin you then you deserve to be pinned!

Saw 4 dump trucks at once just 2 days ago. If they get you up against a wall or a stack of cars you explode. Mission or not. And it still doesn't address the vehicle griefing of non-mission based people parking their cars on points or in doorways to block entrance to objectives. So.....vehicle griefing DOES exist.

I don't play as Enforcer so I can't tell if it's better or worse than a Criminal....also...I have no idea what his point on that was.

Subtly implying that since you haven't seen it or experienced it..it doesn't exist. Just like the point prior.

Driving is 10 times better than RTW and you're not going to just jump in a car and drive like Mario Andretti! You need to LEARN how to drive....this isn't a console game dude! The cars are awesome imo!

I have no idea what RTW is. I don't expect to be an excellent driver like Rainman. I do expect the car to turn and that you're handbrake at barely creeping speeds doesn't make you slide 50-100 feet. I've had a number of vehicles that showed no damage that acted like they were busted to hell. So I'll let you explain it away for me, my guess is lag and/or texture problem with a possible issue in driving code where vehicles adopt properties of vehicles near them.

The stuff isn't expensive.....You can get a bunch of great tier 1 guns
as soon as you complete a couple of missions! The guns are in the $3000 range and you can earn up to $1000 per winning mission. Also you can rob stores or mug people and make a ton of money that way. You can make about $1000 per full van load of stuff you've taken from jacking stores!

So assuming you like to play against others....you don't mind if the enforcers have no avenue for earnings like the criminals have. Their avenue is basically stopping criminals..so if they can't find someone doing this stuff...all they can do is patrol around looking for stolen cars that were abandoned and taking them in for some cash. For which to identify the stolen vehicles you have to get out of your car and mouse over the vehicles. They are only stolen if a criminal took a car and it might only be when they do it during non-mission times. Cars taken by enforcers are not stolen or rewarded in anyway if you find them abandoned. If you lose all the time, your money gain is pathetic. Which right now if you are just starting out and getting paired up against high ranking guys, you get crap standing and crap cash versus winning. You just can't win with how the matchmaking system is being exploited.

What he calls "Manhunt", which isn't what it's called, is the idiot getting witnessed by the cops and then the cops coming to kick his ass! Anybody with a brain knows if you're a criminal you don't rob stores or mug people alone....if you do you're going to get a shit storm of cops come and get you...is it any different in real life?

Actually what you are describing is what I covered in item #5. What I mean by manhunts are when you gain level 5 notoriety and some kind of bounty or whatever is placed on you. I think it's a pretty appropriate term to describe what is happening. But they end within a minute, never last more than a couple minutes on the rare occasion they go past a minute. I don't even know what the critera for enforcers are to be hunted but I've seen a few get flagged for it.

Mid-mission pairings...yes he is somewhat correct.....this is another thing that is being worked on and it actually involves the new matchmaking system I spoke about above.

Can't even give me a correct on that one, because they "plan on fixing it".....funny.

Back up calls....Pfffttt...so the idiot let himself get run over and this is the games fault? LOL!! Again...this is also included in the new matchmaking system.

Uh, that was not the point I was making. It was that you can call for backup on missions and tie up other players on missions that there is absolutely no help they can aid you with. Or cause them to take a near instant loss. I made the point about being ran over to show the guy has a 20-30 second lead on me because I have to respawn and he has a car freely available since he just ran me over in it. But it's good that you focused on the non-important part and found a way to name call. And again imply this will all be magically fixed in a new system you haven't seen.

This guy is obviously not aware of the term CLOSED BETA....this is where much of the balancing issues, optimization issues and just about any of the complaints this guy brought up are worked on and improved.

I do realize this. I also realize they are moving into OPEN BETA. Which will end CLOSED BETA. So unless this magical matchmaking system is completely non-flawed, which let's be honest..no MMO development group gets it right on a major fix covering multiple issues. They don't have a matchmaking system that is even close to adequate as of right now, and they have two weeks to get one that is. During which time they will be letting in more people and will have to deal with growth issues on top of the list of problems I originally put in. But this is basically the same argument we get when games in OPEN BETA announce going retail in a month with major issues and never get them fixed. Despite what the dev posts say or the blog posts say, or the people who "call out" others for listing issues existing in the game as it stands at that moment. Using the excuse that ITS A BETA....SO........

The game would be really good if they fixed the issues I listed, but that's when they fix them not when they announce they plan to fix them. And as of right now as far as I can tell they are accepting money for items in their cash shop, so they are essentially selling the game content already...which is a retail step.

But it doesn't matter, their blog says........

This comment was edited on May 4, 2011, 18:05.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

Subject
Comment

;)   ;)   :(   :(   :o   :o   %)   %)   :)   :)   :|   :|   ;P   ;P   X|   X|   :D   :D   More

Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you have a signature set up, it will be automatically appended to your comment.
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

Email me when this topic is updated.

Special Codes

• b[bold text]b
  • i[italic text]i
  • u[underline text]u
  • -[strikethrough text]-
  • c[code text]c
  • +[bullet point]+
  • q[quote text (indented)]q
  • [quote="Author"]quote text (indented)[/quote]
  • [url=Link]text[/url]
  • r{red text}r
  • g{green text}g
  • b{blue text}b
  • m{maroon text}m
  • s{secret text (shows in the background colour)}s

Forum Rules

1. Disagree all you want but attacks of a personal nature will not be tolerated.
  2. Ethnic slurs and homophobic language will not be tolerated.
  3. Do not post spam, links to warez sites, or instructions on how to obtain pirated software.
  4. Abusing the forums in any manner that could be construed as 'griefing' will not be tolerated.

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo