Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

Garry's Mod vs Pirates

A tweet by Garry Newman, creator of Garry's Mod, asks a simple question: "Anyone unable to shade polygon normals?" In this post he explains this is him having a chuckle at the expense of pirates, as he has programmed a deliberate bug into his sandbox mod for the Source engine that causes this error. Word is: "Yesterday I made pirate versions of Garryís Mod pop up an error. This error only happens when people pirate the game. 48 hours ago there were no results for this phrase on Google. As I type this thereís 717 results (and climbing by the minutes). This is partly as a result of me stupidly mentioning it on Twitter and lots, and lots, and lots of news sites posting about it. I donít get why itís getting so much attention." He also makes an interesting note that: "The overwhelming response has been supportive. Which to be quite honest I donít really understand. If EA or someone does something like this people go crazy. Maybe itís the motive.." He proceeds to explain that motive and various other elements of this interesting situation. Thanks GamePron.

Post Comment
Enter the details of the comment you'd like to post in the boxes below and click the button at the bottom of the form.

52. Re: Garry's Mod vs Pirates Apr 14, 2011, 16:38 FreezeStrike

tuddies wrote on Apr 14, 2011, 00:06:
[
Destructive to an industry awash in record profits? And as someone mentioned - console piracy is rampant, yet we see incredible growth and profit year over year.

It's almost as if piracy is fueling these profits and pushing the industry's record revenues even higher!

Console piracy is far from 'rampant' and far from the levels seen in PC piracy. The vast majority of customers will not engage in practices to modify their console hardware or firmware to allow the operation of pirated software. Classically, hardware has always been many times more effective at stemming piracy than software.

Consoles that did have rampant piracy due to lack of effective hardware barriers, like the DreamCast, well, we all see how that ended up.

Game revues currently come in bulk from mediums that are naturally resilient to piracy, such as, consoles, subscriptions, microtransactions. As someone pointed out, budget titles too (Minecraft) also slip past it because of the very low barrier to entry.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

Subject
Comment

;)   ;)   :(   :(   :o   :o   %)   %)   :)   :)   :|   :|   ;P   ;P   X|   X|   :D   :D   More

Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you have a signature set up, it will be automatically appended to your comment.
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

Email me when this topic is updated.

Special Codes

• b[bold text]b
  • i[italic text]i
  • u[underline text]u
  • -[strikethrough text]-
  • c[code text]c
  • +[bullet point]+
  • q[quote text (indented)]q
  • [quote="Author"]quote text (indented)[/quote]
  • [url=Link]text[/url]
  • r{red text}r
  • g{green text}g
  • b{blue text}b
  • m{maroon text}m
  • s{secret text (shows in the background colour)}s

Forum Rules

1. Disagree all you want but attacks of a personal nature will not be tolerated.
  2. Ethnic slurs and homophobic language will not be tolerated.
  3. Do not post spam, links to warez sites, or instructions on how to obtain pirated software.
  4. Abusing the forums in any manner that could be construed as 'griefing' will not be tolerated.

footer

Blue's News logo