Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Op Ed

Games On Net - Sometimes Story is Overrated.
OK, time for a massive about face. I’ve banged on for months about the importance of story and how, for me at least, story and character take precedence over everything else in an RPG. Whilst that still remains true, I have an admission to make. I have an almost unholy love for action RPGs, or, as I like to call them, games of acquisition. As good as a story might be, sometimes you just need the gaming comfort food that is killing hordes of enemies and collecting the sweet, sweet loot that explodes from their ruined corpses. Diablo III is still “when it’s done” months away, but fellow fans of indiscriminate killing and incremental upgrades need not fear, there are a couple of games right around the corner that should keep us going until Blizzard finally decides to throw us a freaking bone.

Mod DB - Why The "Why We Removed The School Shooter Mod" Article Pissed Me the Hell Off.
It has been asserted by some that the removal was ‘no big deal’ because the ‘School Shooter Mod’ was a “troll mod”, or one that was started for the sole purpose of riling up a bunch of people via its outlandish and potentially offensive content. While that can be argued either way, ultimately it is irrelevant. The true intentions of the mod team are only for they themselves to know, and not for anyone else to judge. The bottom line is that they made a mod on a site that hosts mods, and in an ill-advised attempt to appease some outspoken critics, the host of the site censored the mod in direct contravention of the most basic principle of modding – utter creative freedom. Moreover, they allowed a few to dictate to the many what they can and can’t create or use, and in one fell swoop have changed their basic role from archivists of mods to content police. For those who ask what the big deal is in removing one mod, I implore you to consider that concept very carefully. With such a precedent set, can we really be sure such a thing won’t happen again, this time maybe to a mod you personally are interested in and are excitedly following? Again, once started, where do you stop?

Post Comment
Enter the details of the comment you'd like to post in the boxes below and click the button at the bottom of the form.

20. Re: Op Ed Mar 28, 2011, 20:52 Fifth

Cutter wrote on Mar 28, 2011, 18:02:
It's called the moral majority for a reason. And most people, left, right and center have a pretty good idea where the proverbial line is.
ModDB says that people mistook the site for being the creators of the mod. We should use your argumentum ad populum logic there too.
I'm invoking Latin and am therefore invincible. I'm also a gluteus maximus and like to pet cancer.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

Subject
Comment

;)   ;)   :(   :(   :o   :o   %)   %)   :)   :)   :|   :|   ;P   ;P   X|   X|   :D   :D   More

Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you have a signature set up, it will be automatically appended to your comment.
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

Email me when this topic is updated.

Special Codes

• b[bold text]b
  • i[italic text]i
  • u[underline text]u
  • -[strikethrough text]-
  • c[code text]c
  • +[bullet point]+
  • q[quote text (indented)]q
  • [quote="Author"]quote text (indented)[/quote]
  • [url=Link]text[/url]
  • r{red text}r
  • g{green text}g
  • b{blue text}b
  • m{maroon text}m
  • s{secret text (shows in the background colour)}s

Forum Rules

1. Disagree all you want but attacks of a personal nature will not be tolerated.
  2. Ethnic slurs and homophobic language will not be tolerated.
  3. Do not post spam, links to warez sites, or instructions on how to obtain pirated software.
  4. Abusing the forums in any manner that could be construed as 'griefing' will not be tolerated.

footer

Blue's News logo