Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Technology of Dragon Age II

The Technology of Dragon Age II – Part 2 on the BioWare Blog offers an illustrated look at advancements in the role-playing sequel. Here's an overview of their goals:

One of the major goals of the team was to make the game look great on all platforms. Having accomplished that, we started researching what additional features we can offer to our users that have invested on higher end PC hardware. The latest PC GPUs that have been recently released on the market are very powerful. DirectX 11 technology is a great way for us to target this advanced GPU hardware, as DirectX 11 is fully backwards compatible with DirectX 10. So if you have a video card that supports DirectX 10, DirectX 10.1 or DirectX 11, and Windows Vista SP2 or Windows 7, you’ll be able to benefit from additional technology features as described in this post.

Post Comment
Enter the details of the comment you'd like to post in the boxes below and click the button at the bottom of the form.

44. Re: Technology of Dragon Age II Mar 6, 2011, 20:49 Jerykk

The "consequences" were either tame (a little snippet in the epilogue), obvious, or both.

--SPOILER ALERT IF YOU HAVEN'T DONE REDCLIFFE YET--

What? There was plenty of meaningful consequence and ambiguity in DAO's choices. Take Redcliffe, for example. When you first enter the castle, you find a Bloodmage locked up in a cell. You can choose to free him, leave him locked up or kill him. At this point of the game, you don't know what's happening in the castle so you can't really trust the Bloodmage, making this choice a difficult one. Later, you find out that Arl Eamon's son has been possessed by a demon. You can choose to get rid of the demon directly but sacrifice the son in the process, run to the Circle of Mages but risk further destruction to Redcliffe or, if you let the Bloodmage live, sacrifice the mom in order to purge the demon from her son. The final choice would not have been available if you had killed the Bloodmage earlier and the Circle of Mages option won't work if you purged the Tower earlier. So, depending on the choices you've made up until that point, you can have from one to three different ways to deal with the situation. That seems like pretty meaningful choice and consequence to me.

There was also a bit of adventure game logic going on in the dialogue trees, so having that cleared up a little doesn't bother me so much.

Could you clarify "adventure game logic"? I thought the dialogue trees were perfectly logical. If you say or do something that conflicts with a companion's principles or beliefs, you lose influence with them. If you say or do something that they approve of, you gain influence. Seems pretty intuitive to me. It's true that you had to actually think a bit before making your choices. It was important to consider the context of the conversation and who you were talking to. This is a good thing, as it keeps dialogue interesting.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

Subject
Comment

;)   ;)   :(   :(   :o   :o   %)   %)   :)   :)   :|   :|   ;P   ;P   X|   X|   :D   :D   More

Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you have a signature set up, it will be automatically appended to your comment.
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

Email me when this topic is updated.

Special Codes

• b[bold text]b
  • i[italic text]i
  • u[underline text]u
  • -[strikethrough text]-
  • c[code text]c
  • +[bullet point]+
  • q[quote text (indented)]q
  • [quote="Author"]quote text (indented)[/quote]
  • [url=Link]text[/url]
  • r{red text}r
  • g{green text}g
  • b{blue text}b
  • m{maroon text}m
  • s{secret text (shows in the background colour)}s

Forum Rules

1. Disagree all you want but attacks of a personal nature will not be tolerated.
  2. Ethnic slurs and homophobic language will not be tolerated.
  3. Do not post spam, links to warez sites, or instructions on how to obtain pirated software.
  4. Abusing the forums in any manner that could be construed as 'griefing' will not be tolerated.

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo