Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Op Ed

Game Theory - Video Games and Money: Is Gaming Becoming Too Expensive?
We should be realistic, but in all fairness, G4′s video is lacking some perspective. People aren’t upset about dishing out $250 for a Nintendo system: They’re upset about dishing out $250 for a handheld. This is likely less of an issue in Japan where handheld and mobile gaming are far more ingrained into Japanese culture than Western culture, but in North America, we still have a tendency to think of gaming in terms of “consoles” (or PC) and “portables.” The Wii, which launched in 2006 and hooks up to a television like any traditional console, launched at $249 USD. The Nintendo DS launched in 2004 at $149.99. Going back through the generations, Nintendo has long paired its home consoles with a cheaper, albeit less powerful alternative. Now, the company is asking more for its handheld than its main console. That’s not to say the 3DS’s asking price is unfair, but there is definitely some culture shock behind our grousing. We’ll get over it.

G4tv.com - Why Video Game Music Deserves A Dedicated Grammy Award.
Much to their credit, this was very forward thinking by the Grammys, because at the time, game music was still quite young in terms of actual physical releases, especially in North America. In the decade-plus that has elapsed, game soundtracks have continued to grow, in both quality and in numbers of physical and digital releases to the point that now, more than before, game music needs it’s own Grammy category. But why you may ask?

Post Comment
Enter the details of the comment you'd like to post in the boxes below and click the button at the bottom of the form.

12. Video Games and Money: Is Gaming Becoming Too Expensive? Feb 28, 2011, 21:31 jdreyer

Gaming has never been cheaper. You can build a $500 computer that will run all current games at decent resolution. You can buy older (1-3 yrs) AAA games on Steam for $5-10. You can play so many games for free: browser games, abandonware, freeware, etc. You can get an xbox 360 for under $200, and games for the console are cheaper than they've ever been, adjusted for inflation. If you don't mind playing older games, a Nintendo DS and PS 2 are under $100. Used PS 2 games are $5 and there are so many great ones. A smartphone costs $99 or so with contract and games are free or a dollar or two.

Honestly, I hardly think anyone could argue that gaming is too expensive. Quite the opposite is true: Gaming has never been better or cheaper.

"It's just a bunch of mystic bovine scatology to me." - 1badmf
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

Subject
Comment

;)   ;)   :(   :(   :o   :o   %)   %)   :)   :)   :|   :|   ;P   ;P   X|   X|   :D   :D   More

Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you have a signature set up, it will be automatically appended to your comment.
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

Email me when this topic is updated.

Special Codes

• b[bold text]b
  • i[italic text]i
  • u[underline text]u
  • -[strikethrough text]-
  • c[code text]c
  • +[bullet point]+
  • q[quote text (indented)]q
  • [quote="Author"]quote text (indented)[/quote]
  • [url=Link]text[/url]
  • r{red text}r
  • g{green text}g
  • b{blue text}b
  • m{maroon text}m
  • s{secret text (shows in the background colour)}s

Forum Rules

1. Disagree all you want but attacks of a personal nature will not be tolerated.
  2. Ethnic slurs and homophobic language will not be tolerated.
  3. Do not post spam, links to warez sites, or instructions on how to obtain pirated software.
  4. Abusing the forums in any manner that could be construed as 'griefing' will not be tolerated.

footer

Blue's News logo