Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Steam Top 10

Here's Valve's report on the top 10 bestselling titles on Steam for the past week:

1. Bulletstorm
  2. Portal 2
  3. RIFT
  4. Dragon Age II
  5. Magicka
  6. Fallout New Vegas: Dead Money
  7. Crysis 2
  8. Sid Meier's Civilization® V
  9. Warhammer 40,000: Dawn of War II: Retribution
  10. Command & Conquer 4: Tiberian Twilight

Post Comment
Enter the details of the comment you'd like to post in the boxes below and click the button at the bottom of the form.

19. Re: Steam Top 10 Feb 27, 2011, 21:27 Bucky

Jerykk wrote on Feb 27, 2011, 21:05:
You seem to have enjoyed it. I know you don't think it's worth $60. At what price would you consider buying it and supporting "fuck you pc gamers" Blezinskinskiowski.

I think $30 is a reasonable price for the PC version. It's a fun game but it's only 7 hours long on the highest difficulty setting. There are also a number of technical issues, namely:

1) It uses GFWL.
2) AA is broken. It does a poor job of hiding the aliasing and it cuts your performance in half, even if you only use 2XAA.
3) Mouse smoothing and a framerate cap are enabled by default and the only way to turn them off is by editing the encrypted ini files.
4) I had a lot of visual bugs with flickering shadows and thick blue fog. Evidently this is because the game's auto-detect settings don't work properly for all videocards. I had to find and download a modified ini file to fix those issues.
5) Evidently 16:10 resolutions run like crap, even though higher 16:9 resolutions run twice as fast.

So yeah, they could have put some more effort into the PC port.

FYI, you'll want to check out the stickies here for the ini stuff: http://www.bulletstormforum.com/bulletstorm-pc/

#'s 1,2, and 3 were all issues for me. I've finished the game, as well as played most of the Echoes levels, and overall I've enjoyed it. It's a shining example of how not to do a port, but there's a decent game hidden in there.

I picked it up for $45 from D2D, and while it isn't worth that price, I don't feel burned. I'd say $40 if you need something to play and understand what you're buying, $25-$30 is more appropriate for the game.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

Subject
Comment

;)   ;)   :(   :(   :o   :o   %)   %)   :)   :)   :|   :|   ;P   ;P   X|   X|   :D   :D   More

Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you have a signature set up, it will be automatically appended to your comment.
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

Email me when this topic is updated.

Special Codes

• b[bold text]b
  • i[italic text]i
  • u[underline text]u
  • -[strikethrough text]-
  • c[code text]c
  • +[bullet point]+
  • q[quote text (indented)]q
  • [quote="Author"]quote text (indented)[/quote]
  • [url=Link]text[/url]
  • r{red text}r
  • g{green text}g
  • b{blue text}b
  • m{maroon text}m
  • s{secret text (shows in the background colour)}s

Forum Rules

1. Disagree all you want but attacks of a personal nature will not be tolerated.
  2. Ethnic slurs and homophobic language will not be tolerated.
  3. Do not post spam, links to warez sites, or instructions on how to obtain pirated software.
  4. Abusing the forums in any manner that could be construed as 'griefing' will not be tolerated.

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo