Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

More Games to Use the Skyrim Engine

Pete Hines says the "creation" engine from Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim will be finding its way into future Bethesda games, reports VG247 from their ever-upcoming interview with the Bethesda PR maven. "Yeah, I mean obviously, whatever Bethesda Game Studios works on after Skyrim will take advantage of the tech that they have developed," he told them. "But what that next product is or what it’s going to be? Everybody’s gonna have to wait and see."

Post Comment
Enter the details of the comment you'd like to post in the boxes below and click the button at the bottom of the form.

13. Re: More Games to Use the Skyrim Engine Jan 25, 2011, 13:32 Soulburner

Viktor King wrote on Jan 25, 2011, 12:57:
I'm confused, honestly. I thought the whole point of the idSoft buy/merge and subsequent lock-down of licensing/publishing of idTech 5 games was that ZeniMax wanted to leverage Carmack's technically superior engines to make ZeniMax a bigger player.

The 64hz off-timing of the GameBryo engine (apparently doing so well after '350 games' that it's for sale) is not a deal-breaker, but when Unreal 3 is everywhere and Rage demonstrates that idTech 5 is more than capable of the expansive environments that are a staple of Elder Scrolls, I'm wondering why this isn't the plan to begin with.

Id Tech 5 is very limited. It has megatexture, it has large outdoor environments, but... for example, it has static, prerendered lighting (unlike Id Tech 4).

Todd Howard said: "Id Tech 5 is the best thing in the world at doing a very static environment that looks pretty and you're going to run through. But for the kinds of things I like to do, I like the world to be more dynamic." (source)

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

Subject
Comment

;)   ;)   :(   :(   :o   :o   %)   %)   :)   :)   :|   :|   ;P   ;P   X|   X|   :D   :D   More

Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you have a signature set up, it will be automatically appended to your comment.
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

Email me when this topic is updated.

Special Codes

• b[bold text]b
  • i[italic text]i
  • u[underline text]u
  • -[strikethrough text]-
  • c[code text]c
  • +[bullet point]+
  • q[quote text (indented)]q
  • [quote="Author"]quote text (indented)[/quote]
  • [url=Link]text[/url]
  • r{red text}r
  • g{green text}g
  • b{blue text}b
  • m{maroon text}m
  • s{secret text (shows in the background colour)}s

Forum Rules

1. Disagree all you want but attacks of a personal nature will not be tolerated.
  2. Ethnic slurs and homophobic language will not be tolerated.
  3. Do not post spam, links to warez sites, or instructions on how to obtain pirated software.
  4. Abusing the forums in any manner that could be construed as 'griefing' will not be tolerated.

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo