Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Retailers Versus Steam?

A story on MCV with a quote in the headline (which isn't in the article itself) stating "Valve monopoly is killing PC market," reports they understand "that at least two big-name digital retailers are facing financial difficulties as they struggle to compete" with Steam. "I've fought hard for my customer, and never before have I had to give my customers away. Steam is killing the PC market and it is no wonder digital retailers are failing," says the director of a Steam rival. "Steam is locking down the market." In a separate report they also discuss retailer dissatisfaction with Steam's dominance of the marketplace, which insiders tell them amounts to 80% of PC downloadable games. Since this competes with online sales initiatives by retailers, they say at least two major U.K. merchants will demand that publishers remove Steam integration from their games or they will refuse to sell them. With PC game sales at retail stores in steady decline, it seems an odd moment for these stores to flex their atrophying muscle, but they quote the head of sales at a big-name digital service provider saying: "At the moment the big digital distributors need to stock games with Steam. But the power resides with bricks and mortar retailers, they can refuse to stock these titles. Publishers are hesitant, but retail must put pressure on them."

Post Comment
Enter the details of the comment you'd like to post in the boxes below and click the button at the bottom of the form.

127. Re: Retailers Versus Steam? Nov 12, 2010, 07:34 Slashman

Prez wrote on Nov 12, 2010, 07:22:
It's not gamers' fault that no one could compete well enough.

This is what is all comes down to.

It's the same thing as people pointing their fingers at Microsoft for monopolizing the OS market. When Windows 95 was a huge, buggy mess and barely trying to stand on its own, no other company thought that it was worth it to compete in the home desktop market. But then everyone wants to crap all over them years after when(surprise, surprise) they are practically the only viable choice for a PC OS bar Mac and Linux.

Steam was kinda cruddy when it started out as well, but no one wanted to follow suit and make a better delivery platform. Now people want to point their fingers and talk about how it's ruining gaming.

If it wasn't for Steam, there are a LOT of games I would never play. That's both indie titles as well as AAA titles. Simply because I can't get them in my country by any other means.

D2D is hell bent on telling me that every sale or special they run is not available in my region. Impulse has a limited catalog and so does GOG. Someone tell me what my alternatives are.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

Subject
Comment

;)   ;)   :(   :(   :o   :o   %)   %)   :)   :)   :|   :|   ;P   ;P   X|   X|   :D   :D   More

Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you have a signature set up, it will be automatically appended to your comment.
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

Email me when this topic is updated.

Special Codes

• b[bold text]b
  • i[italic text]i
  • u[underline text]u
  • -[strikethrough text]-
  • c[code text]c
  • +[bullet point]+
  • q[quote text (indented)]q
  • [quote="Author"]quote text (indented)[/quote]
  • [url=Link]text[/url]
  • r{red text}r
  • g{green text}g
  • b{blue text}b
  • m{maroon text}m
  • s{secret text (shows in the background colour)}s

Forum Rules

1. Disagree all you want but attacks of a personal nature will not be tolerated.
  2. Ethnic slurs and homophobic language will not be tolerated.
  3. Do not post spam, links to warez sites, or instructions on how to obtain pirated software.
  4. Abusing the forums in any manner that could be construed as 'griefing' will not be tolerated.

footer

Blue's News logo