Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

On F1 2010 AI

The Codemasters Forums have posts from Formula 1 2010 users who claim that the AI in the new racing sim is phony, citing evidence like incorrect lap times for AI drivers, lack of split times, strange AI pit stops, and more, with the original poster stating: "This game is a time trial with the AI just there to act as blockers of the racing line." There are numerous posts from users with similar outlooks, but no official response by the time the thread was locked. There is also a lengthy thread on this on NeoGAF, as many virtual racers express their dissatisfaction. Thanks wg, who brought this to our attention yesterday. We contacted Codemasters for comment, but over 24 hours later have not received a response. There is a subsequent post from Codemasters saying that a patch is in the works for the game, but the goals of this are not specified, as they simply say: "The development team is currently investigating, going through feedback, and looking at reported issues."

Post Comment
Enter the details of the comment you'd like to post in the boxes below and click the button at the bottom of the form.

11. Re: On F1 2010 AI Sep 28, 2010, 18:37 Theo

Aero wrote on Sep 28, 2010, 15:02:
I don't buy that there is anything too fake going on in the actual race (though they do warp back to the track after spinning out into a sand trap and do some goofy things--things that are largely acceptable for them to do, but they should never do them while in the player's field of view). The AI isn't great, of course, but I can't think of any racing sim (or semi-sim) that has great AI. Virtual Grand Prix 3's AI is probably the best, but even they are a little robotic sometimes.

Mostly this whole thing seems to be a small number of people making valid criticisms and then a huge horde of trolls making a big annoying noise.

The biggest problem with the AI is their inability to navigate the tight hairpins and chicanes on many of the tracks at anything like a human pace. This is probably where the qualifying issue comes from as well.

That is a common problem in even the better racing sims. Aside from VGP3, in every single sim I can think of, you can generally pass three of four cars easily on the entry to a chicane by out braking them on the inside. A certain amount of the problem comes from the fact that this is something you would never, ever do in the real world because it's too reckless, but probably a larger amount comes from the difficulty AI have navigating around each other in tight bunches.

Overall, I'm relatively pleased with F1 2010. It has a few bugs that NEED fixing (like the lollipop man thing), and it isn't nearly as realistic in terms of physics as I would like (there doesn't seem to be any differential simulation at all... the rear wheels always lose traction at the same time), but overall I'm pretty happy with it.

I'd give it an 7.5/10 myself, mostly for bugs and somewhat disappointing performance (and not taking off points for the physics, which are the way they are by design).

I really don't see the AI being improved much in a patch, given that it is actually a very difficult thing to program. It's not buggy, it's just that CM are at the limit of their ability.

this is largly how i feel, and i play iracing.

Everyone on Bluesnews is synical, get over it.
edit: i cant spell, this is my disclaimer.
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

Subject
Comment

;)   ;)   :(   :(   :o   :o   %)   %)   :)   :)   :|   :|   ;P   ;P   X|   X|   :D   :D   More

Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you have a signature set up, it will be automatically appended to your comment.
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

Email me when this topic is updated.

Special Codes

• b[bold text]b
  • i[italic text]i
  • u[underline text]u
  • -[strikethrough text]-
  • c[code text]c
  • +[bullet point]+
  • q[quote text (indented)]q
  • [quote="Author"]quote text (indented)[/quote]
  • [url=Link]text[/url]
  • r{red text}r
  • g{green text}g
  • b{blue text}b
  • m{maroon text}m
  • s{secret text (shows in the background colour)}s

Forum Rules

1. Disagree all you want but attacks of a personal nature will not be tolerated.
  2. Ethnic slurs and homophobic language will not be tolerated.
  3. Do not post spam, links to warez sites, or instructions on how to obtain pirated software.
  4. Abusing the forums in any manner that could be construed as 'griefing' will not be tolerated.

footer

Blue's News logo