Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Out of the Blue

To follow-up once more on our tree situation, things have ended up dragging out a little after it turned out we needed a permit to remove the mulberry tree that is destroying my neighbor's fence. The good news is that the ensuing delay allowed us to consult an arborist about the maple tree that has the ominous looking damage to its bark. While he agreed the tree may have suffered a lightning strike, he told us it is not in any real danger of falling at this point, and we do not have to consider taking it down. This is a huge relief on a number of levels, as the tree keeps our house cool, creates privacy in our backyard, and seems to be home to several bird families. The bad news is, I ran into my neighbor yesterday, and apologized of how long this has taken to resolve, and had to deal with his fairly irrational response, as no matter how I tried to reassure him that the delay was due to being caught in the village bureaucracy, his responses all took the tone of how good a neighbor he has always tried to be (which is certainly true), so he doesn't understand why we were so callously disregarding the plight of his damaged wall and fence. You ever have one of those conversations where you think the other person isn't hearing a word you say? This is how I felt. Hopefully this will all blow over when the tree is finally removed, but in the meantime I feel like I've been on a vacation to CrazyWorld.

R.I.P.: '50s pop singer Eddie Fisher dies at age 82. Thanks Mike Martinez. Papa Organa.

Crazy Links: Thanks Ant and Mike Martinez and Acleacius.
Play: Heart of Ice. Thanks Jay is Games.
Oozy and the Tower of WULU.
Shattered Colony.
Stories: Green Party Senate candidate fatally struck by SUV while biking.
50 years later, Bill Mazeroski and 'best game ever' headed for TV. Thanks Neutronbeam.
Fort Lauderdale man's home sold in foreclosure mistake. Thanks Boing Boing.
Science: First Human-Powered, Wing-Flapping Aircraft Successfully Flown.
Cocaine and ecstasy detected in waters of the L'Albufera in Valencia, Spain.
Novel X-ray machine is unveiled.
Media: The Size of Your Gun Matters.
Tantrum FAIL.
Daddy! Daddy! Ur hoam! Sniff.
Follow-up: Heavy metals go untested in Gulf seafood.
What is a harvest moon - and why this year's is special?

Post Comment
Enter the details of the comment you'd like to post in the boxes below and click the button at the bottom of the form.

12. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 25, 2010, 12:12 DG

If he's had a moan to someone who has agreed with him, well people are prone to take that like some concrete confirmation even though they know the other person at best only has the same limited info that they do.

Once people think their views have been verified they'll pretty much disregard all information that runs contrary to it, and anything that can possibly be twisted into supporting their idea will be so twisted. If someone is challenging their position then the effect is even stronger, to the point that people feel justified in making shit up because they're so convinced they're in the right even once they've admitted to themselves they don't have any facts to back up their argument at all.

IIRC it's fairly basic psychology though dunno what it's called to google an article. What was I saying about being sure of things even after realising you don't have facts? Connected to confirmation bias and rationalisation though.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

Subject
Comment

;)   ;)   :(   :(   :o   :o   %)   %)   :)   :)   :|   :|   ;P   ;P   X|   X|   :D   :D   More

Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you have a signature set up, it will be automatically appended to your comment.
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

Email me when this topic is updated.

Special Codes

• b[bold text]b
  • i[italic text]i
  • u[underline text]u
  • -[strikethrough text]-
  • c[code text]c
  • +[bullet point]+
  • q[quote text (indented)]q
  • [quote="Author"]quote text (indented)[/quote]
  • [url=Link]text[/url]
  • r{red text}r
  • g{green text}g
  • b{blue text}b
  • m{maroon text}m
  • s{secret text (shows in the background colour)}s

Forum Rules

1. Disagree all you want but attacks of a personal nature will not be tolerated.
  2. Ethnic slurs and homophobic language will not be tolerated.
  3. Do not post spam, links to warez sites, or instructions on how to obtain pirated software.
  4. Abusing the forums in any manner that could be construed as 'griefing' will not be tolerated.

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo