Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Analyst: Mafia II "Unlikely to Achieve Profitability"

IndustryGamers quotes quote-worthy industry analyst Michael Pachter of Wedbush Morgan Securities, who reflects on the sales of Mafia II, saying he does not believe the open-world crime sequel will ultimately turn a profit. He says: "Mafia IIís average Metacritic score of 74 is well below expectations, and consumer interest appears to be waning, as the gameís position has dropped in many best-seller lists in its first week. With six years in development, we believe the game is unlikely to achieve profitability."

Post Comment
Enter the details of the comment you'd like to post in the boxes below and click the button at the bottom of the form.

40. Re: Analyst: Mafia II Aug 31, 2010, 01:53 fujiJuice

Jerykk wrote on Aug 31, 2010, 01:09:
I didn't even know that you could disable the alarm. I assumed that the mission was completely linear and that you had to trigger it.

Yeah there are a lot of extra bits to some mission I didn't even notice until my second play-through trying to get achievements, the descriptions pretty much point out your other options.

As for the game itself, let me start by saying I really enjoyed it, and I have been waiting since I finished the first one shortly after release. It is still to this day one of my all time favorite games, and I am amazed by the number of gamers I encounter who have never even heard of it.

Now while I enjoyed Mafia 2 greatly, I hardly think it is perfect and I really do feel they missed out on several chances to make it even better. For staters, one of the best parts of the first one was free ride extreme, after completing the story, so many great challenges to unlock new cars. I remember playing that endlessly, some of the challenges were damn near impossible, but added a lot more longevity to the title. I really hope this is added in a DLC, Jimmy's Vendetta seems like it might be similar. Also, the story was a bit more cohesive, now I really enjoyed Mafia 2's story, but it seems erratic in some parts and the whole time in prison seems really drawn out and just a time killer. The way that mission carried the story along, I can appreciate, but some of the activties in there just slowed down the pace too much.

It is obvious to me, as well as others from what I have read, that the game was initially longer, but was trimmed down, for what I assume will be forthcoming DLC's. You are introduced to several characters but never really hear much about them after that, and the side missions aren't really missions at all. My theory on this is that the game was much more involved, had many more side missions, and a longer story. This is pure speculation, but I am thinking maybe, given the extremely long development, money was running short, and to the rescue comes Take 2. Take 2 buys Illusion Softworks, makes a load of changes, and rips out a ton of content to place inside DLC's for extra revenue down the line. Again, I am basing this on nothing but my own interpretation of the final product and the timeline of everything.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

Subject
Comment

;)   ;)   :(   :(   :o   :o   %)   %)   :)   :)   :|   :|   ;P   ;P   X|   X|   :D   :D   More

Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you have a signature set up, it will be automatically appended to your comment.
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

Email me when this topic is updated.

Special Codes

• b[bold text]b
  • i[italic text]i
  • u[underline text]u
  • -[strikethrough text]-
  • c[code text]c
  • +[bullet point]+
  • q[quote text (indented)]q
  • [quote="Author"]quote text (indented)[/quote]
  • [url=Link]text[/url]
  • r{red text}r
  • g{green text}g
  • b{blue text}b
  • m{maroon text}m
  • s{secret text (shows in the background colour)}s

Forum Rules

1. Disagree all you want but attacks of a personal nature will not be tolerated.
  2. Ethnic slurs and homophobic language will not be tolerated.
  3. Do not post spam, links to warez sites, or instructions on how to obtain pirated software.
  4. Abusing the forums in any manner that could be construed as 'griefing' will not be tolerated.

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo